Winch Recommendations

Steve JK

Looking to get a new winch for my 2-door JK. I've been thinking about a 12,000 pounder with synthetic rope. I can get the Smittybilt X2O Gen2 and the Superwinch SX for about the same price ($650-700). Any recommendations between the two? Pro's and cons?

Reactions: JK_OWNER_
Looking to get a new winch for my 2-door JK. I've been thinking about a 12,000 pounder with synthetic rope. I can get the Smittybilt X2O Gen2 and the Superwinch SX for about the same price ($650-700). Any recommendations between the two? Pro's and cons?
I’ve run the Superwinch SX10 for about a year. Synthetic line. Very happy with it. Wired and wireless remotes.

Reactions: Speartip
Get Badland 12k Apex, cheap and lasts long, only synthetic line tho, because if it breaks, and you are near it, u will get hurt but will survive, if its metal then u will be dead.
Warn is also ok, but for some reasons after of some use they get electrical problems, so, not the best but still works (ish)

Get Badland 12k Apex, cheap and lasts long, only synthetic line tho, because if it breaks, and you are near it, u will get hurt but will survive, if its metal then u will be dead.
A gross oversimplification, and not particularly accurate.

Synthetic lines are, I would agree, safer and more forgiving of poor choices. But there are tons of us who used wire cables for many years without dying, or even losing any body parts. There are rules for safely using a winch. The injuries from winching are, with very few exceptions, the result of someone ignoring those rules.