Will using power steering fluid instead of ATF+4 damage things?

Nickspeedjk

Got it all changed out - but of course put actual power steering fluid when it should take ATF+4

After I did last night it was loud, worse than before, bubbles coming out. Today everything was perfect in the morning, no whine, nothing...

so question is this....is there a chance I can get by using that fluid or should I flush it and put the atf-4 in? will it damage it even though it sounds quite today?

Got it all changed out - but of course put actually power steering fluid when it should take ATF-4

After I did last night it was loud, worse than before, bubbles coming out. Today everything was perfect in the morning, no whine, nothing...

so question is this....is there a chance I can get by using that fluid or should I flush it and put the atf-4 in? will it damage it even though it sounds quite today?

I’d like to say it’s all good, but it’s a better question for a dealership mechanic.
I’ve used copious amounts of Dextronii as p/s fluid, but never considered what going the other way might do ?

I'll give it a day and see what happens I guess. So far so good, only seems like a common issue people have after replacing it. Or it'll stop steering half way through a turn. Maybe I'll ask around in that case.

Flush it and put ATF+4 in there. You can use power steering fluid and it "may" work, but it will void the warranty in most applications, so the smart thing to do is remove it and put ATF+4 in its place, along with a good flush.

Actually ATF stands for auto trans fluid and so, they are glycol-ether based now these days.
But there are also mineral oil and silicone-based so check the empty bottle.
If it says Glycol based, you are okay.

Reactions: Chris
Actually ATF stands for auto trans fluid and so, they are glycol-ether based now these days.
But there are also mineral oil and silicone-based so check the empty bottle.
If it says Glycol based, you are okay.

That’s good intel. I never gave it a thought. Makes sense