What's the deal with JKs from Canada?

Packerjohn

We've been looking around for an Unlimited JK. We live in central IL and as I look at Carfaxes from dealers within 200 miles of me it seems like a disproportionate portion of the Jeeps that were auctioned at one point started out in Canada.

Any reason for this? Other than obviously more likelihood of rust due to road salt any issue I should watch for?

My JK came from Canada and was just about rust free, it had a real good undercoating put on it. I don't know if they are all like that but you might check the underside of them.

Reactions: Packerjohn
Definitely inspect the underside of any vehicle that came from Canada. It snows so much up there that rust is indeed an issue.

Just make sure you do your due diligence is all.

My previous 2012 JKU was a Canadian vehicle and it was not covered repair by warranty. Please ask your local dealership whether they will take care of Canadian vehicles by warranty.

When the JK was introduced in Canada our dollar was almost on par with yours. Since then the Canadian dollar has weakened significantly but the price of JKs did not increase so they were sold cheaper here than there. Your cash for clunkers program removed a lot of used car from circulation. These two factors have led to a large demand for Canadian used vehicles in America. Its not uncommon for late model trucks to be sold directly to American dealers during the trade in process up here.

Definitely inspect the underside of any vehicle that came from Canada. It snows so much up there that rust is indeed an issue.

Just make sure you do your due diligence is all.
For sure any used vehicle we get I'm wearing old clothes while shopping and down on the ground looking at it. I'm kicking myself, passed on a TX Jeep (all Carfax records showed Central TX)while down there visiting our son, was a bit more than really wanted to spend. Probably should have done it.

Reactions: Chris
When the JK was introduced in Canada our dollar was almost on par with yours. Since then the Canadian dollar has weakened significantly but the price of JKs did not increase so they were sold cheaper here than there. Your cash for clunkers program removed a lot of used car from circulation. These two factors have led to a large demand for Canadian used vehicles in America. Its not uncommon for late model trucks to be sold directly to American dealers during the trade in process up here.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense. We're looking a "newer used" Wranglers so the cash for clunkers isn't a factor in our case, but the exchange rate sure is.

My previous 2012 JKU was a Canadian vehicle and it was not covered repair by warranty. Please ask your local dealership whether they will take care of Canadian vehicles by warranty.

Good point. For the price range we're looking it would most likely be out of factory warranty but we might bump the budget a bit and it could be in play.

There aren't any actual differences in Jeeps made for Canada vs the US is there?

For sure any used vehicle we get I'm wearing old clothes while shopping and down on the ground looking at it. I'm kicking myself, passed on a TX Jeep (all Carfax records showed Central TX)while down there visiting our son, was a bit more than really wanted to spend. Probably should have done it.

Yep, if you don't mind traveling, the best examples are usually from the west coast, south west, and places like Florida, Alabama, etc.

Yep, if you don't mind traveling, the best examples are usually from the west coast, south west, and places like Florida, Alabama, etc.
My son lives in the Austin area and is in the auto wheel industry. His company does business from Dallas through Austin to San Antonio. The owner pointed out the Jeep to my son for me. Normally since the company owner has relationships with the dealers he can get pretty good pricing for his employees. Unfortunately the dealership had too much money in it vs my planned budget. They would have gone $250 over what they had in it.

It's a 4 hr (including layover) $90 one way flight from my town to Austin so I'm definitely looking at that area.

Reactions: Chris
Hope you find what you want. Should have seen the car salesman’s face when I asked him for a creeper. I was all over the bottom of that Jeep before I bought it.