What rear diff do I have?

High Mt. Jk 63

I've got a 2011 wrangler sport unlimited jku with 3.8 and 6 speed..I believe I've got a dana 44 for a rear diff, is there any way to know if it's a open diff or not without pulling the cover ??? Thanks for reading !!!

Assuming there were no aftermarket installs like ARB, Eaton e-locker, etc...

Chock the front wheels, neutral, jack up the rear and spin one of the tires. Observe the other. If it moves in the same direction you have the factory limited slip...

Or you can try to do a burn out and see how many tire marks are left on the pavement. Note, you could do this on gravel, in all seriousness, for a quick assessment.

Assuming there were no aftermarket installs like ARB, Eaton e-locker, etc...

Chock the front wheels, neutral, jack up the rear and spin one of the tires. Observe the other. If it moves in the same direction you have the factory limited slip...

Or you can try to do a burn out and see how many tire marks are left on the pavement. Note, you could do this on gravel, in all seriousness, for a quick assessment.

Thanks for the info...

Or just look on the rear side of the rear diff and see if there's a tag on the cover:

1724954569757.png

1724954606837.png

Or enter your VIN : https://www.roughwheelers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/jeep-vin-buildsheet.html

I see the final drive ratio, but is there an indicator of LSD or open differential (OPs question)?

That same tag, near the oil fill plug, will say "LSD," as well as tell you what oil to use.
If you're still unsure, just lift one wheel off the ground and see if it rotates (neutral, no e-brake) while the other is on the ground.

The best way is to enter the VIN as shown in the post above. The 2011 JKU had both the LSD and open diffs available.

Reactions: tJKrider