What kind of lug nut is this?

freddyspaghetti

Hey everybody, I just got myself a 2016 Rubicon a couple months ago and am eager to start modding and living jeep life! The first thing I wanted to do was install a round LED third brake light behind the spare tire and realized I'm not familiar with the bottom lug nut (see picture). What tool do I need to remove that? Might be a stupid question but I am inexperienced and need all the help I can get! Thank you!

IMG_8490.jpg

That's a wheel lock. You should have the lock to remove it, otherwise you should go to your local auto part store, as they'll likely have it.

Thank you guys! Where are the tools supposed to be located because I haven’t found any ;/

Depends on if the previous owner left it in the vehicle or not. There's nowhere they are supposed to be specifically. Usually it would be in the glovebox though.

This isn't a factory thing though, so my guess is the previous owner put it on and just forgot to put the wheel lock removal tool in with the car.

Sounds like you may have a Tapered Spline lug nuts 1/2 × 20
If you find a tool to remove that nut (mine is in the rear under that cover) Then keep that anti theft lock back on there. A Thief with a cordless impact gun can have your spare in 30 seconds while your in a place where you can't see your parked Jeep.
Also a thief with a little receiver that can receive your signal from your keyless remote when you lock your door with the remote can use that same signal to get into your vehicle the minute you're out of sight...When you get out use the manual button on the door and no signal is broadcast. My insurance agent told me that one.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
Step 1: Borrow (do not buy) the adapter to the anti-theft lug nut.
Step 2: Remove anti-theft lug nut.
Step 3: Replace anti-theft lug nut with standard lug nut.
Step 4: Return borrowed anti-theft adapter to the person you borrowed it from.

Someone wants your spare bad enough, they'll remove the 2 standard lugs and do more damage to the tire carrier and tailgate trying to rip it off by breaking the stud. If not, the guys at the tire shop who rotate your tires will either lose or damage the adapter to the point it's not usable anyway.

Reactions: mrjp