What could this sound be?

area51-s4

I let someone borrow one of my jeeps last week. 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock. 111k miles. They have it for another 2 weeks and are several hours away now.

After a week of driving, they texted me that they hear a ticking noise from the rear passenger tire. They send me a handful of vids but i only hear the engine, which sounds a lotttt louder than normal (stock exhaust). I told them i cant hear the ticking noises, i just hear the engine louder as if there was an exhaust leak. They then say its more of a bumping noise that sounds more like its coming from the engine. And at speeds 20mph+, its loud and obnoxious.

I asked them to check around the tires for stuck debris and to check the engine belt for any looseness or cracks, and they said all of that was fine. I asked if they offroaded, used 4wd or used the sway or axle disconnects, and they claimed No. They did say after i asked them to check a few things that they tried the 4wd to test if would fix anything, but it only made it sound worse.

From the following vids, do these noises sound familar to anyone?

Last edited:
Sorry, near impossible to ID without visual inspection or at least hearing an isolated audio clip. Maybe have them take to garage for quick look and report to you, many independent shops would do cheaply, or for free.

Recently had a ticking develop in a rear wheel. A few weeks prior I had did new gears and also replaced wheel bearings while we were at it. Well one of the bearings went bad after 2 weeks, but got it swapped and all good. For some reason it was more pronounced when backing up.