Warn Tube Bumper Mod

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
So, when I was looking at my newly mounted Warn Tubular bumper (not rock crawler bumper) I noticed it was left somewhat bare. Better clearance and a much more stout bumper for sure, but I did not like the fact that my soon to be new winch will not have any clevis pins or hooks to attach to. So, looking at my sunfaded pile of old bumper garbage I started to think.

Here is a pic before I added anything, looks ok, but I like skid plates and needed tow hooks! there is nothing to attach to without a winch on this bumper!

IMG_20110114_155306.jpg

1. I took the old hook style tow hooks from the originla stock bumper, and noticed the smarties at warn had left slots for someone to do this "mod", only their bolts included are 1 1/2" long, so I replaced with 2 1/2" bolts, and bought 8 extra 7/16" washers *either i was short changed or warn isnt big on washers backing the bolts where you can't see

Fronthookwithbolts.jpg

2. To remove the very well attached bolts in the stock hooks, I went to a welder and had hime heat them up, he got them just glowing orange and the fell out with the slightest tap. I have a cutting torch, but was hoping he had apress that would work, but since I was already there and knew the guy ( and planned on repainting the hooks) I let him torch away

Closeupboltsfront.jpg

3. I painted the hooks and the carriage bolts that hold up the orignial warn face plate, painted them olive drab, my accessories color. Yes i know i should have put tape over the threrads, but I call it white trash loc tite

Paintedcarriagebolts.jpg

4. Now with my painted hooks and carriage bolts i just removed the 4 maiun bolts from the frame*that hold on the bumper, one side at a time, inserted the stock hooks, and replaced the orignial 1 1/2 bolts with the 2 1/2 bolts and could use all orginal washers *except the extra 8 washers i bought to put as backing washers.

Vothfronthookswithbolts.jpg

Now for the looks. SORRY NO PICS of the painting or cutting, Just Finished Product Photos I got excited!

I then took my old fake plastic skid plate that came originally. Well I held it up and noticed it would look better, and maybe prevent a stick or branch someday. WEll I simple cut the out side corners, along the first crase, this made it look more stream line and didnt have an unnessasry edge to it. If you have thius bumper and hold it up to it you will see what needs to be cut and where, super simple. In the pics you can see the large un needed trab sticking out on both sides

Here is a before I cut

DSC00766.jpg

After I cut it

Frontdone.jpg

I then truck lined the top piece that goes behing the bumper directly below the grill, and the Dupli black truck liner matches the warn powder coating exactly!

Showingfronttop.jpg

Well there it was, what I learned, is more pics, more pics, more pics
Angklefrontdone.jpg

Hope this helpos somebody with a warn tubular and thinks it looks a little bare!!

Reactions: Squatch
So, I have to admit that I'm really a bit surprised that a tube bumper is acceptable for the JK, but viewed as somewhat outdated for the TJ (that is not intended as sarcasm, btw). I never would have thought that to be a thing. Having said that, I will admit that once you did the mods, it looks really good on your rig, @Chris. Really good, indeed!

Also, I know nothing about this issue, but I thought the whole "photobucket" thing was dead, or something. Seems like I read that there were real problems with it, so was surprised to see it here.

*Wait a minute...that's not your rig, is it?

So, I have to admit that I'm really a bit surprised that a tube bumper is acceptable for the JK, but viewed as somewhat outdated for the TJ (that is not intended as sarcasm, btw). I never would have thought that to be a thing. Having said that, I will admit that once you did the mods, it looks really good on your rig, @Chris. Really good, indeed!

Also, I know nothing about this issue, but I thought the whole "photobucket" thing was dead, or something. Seems like I read that there were real problems with it, so was surprised to see it here.

*Wait a minute...that's not your rig, is it?

Not my rig at all. I would never in a million years sport a tube bumper 🤪

Reactions: DrDmoney
Not my rig at all. I would never in a million years sport a tube bumper 🤪
Hmmm...well, I thought it looked pretty good, which surprised me, I must admit. When I saw the wheels, however, is when I thought there was no way that would be your rig. Just didn't seem like something you'd choose.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Hmmm...well, I thought it looked pretty good, which surprised me, I must admit. When I saw the wheels, however, is when I thought there was no way that would be your rig. Just didn't seem like something you'd choose.

Mine is a red 2-door Rubicon, I'm looking for decent how-to articles on other forums to populate the how-to section of this site. Same thing I did with the TJ forum. Not all, but a lot of the articles came from other forums that have long since been forgotten.

Mine is a red 2-door Rubicon, I'm looking for decent how-to articles on other forums to populate the how-to section of this site. Same thing I did with the TJ forum. Not all, but a lot of the articles came from other forums that have long since been forgotten.
That makes sense. I wondered how someone would go about getting information and whatnot on a new forum. In time, folks will add to it, of course, but until then, you don't want to be able to hear an echo in here. I mistook what you posted as work being done on your own rig. Not sure I ever even knew yours was red, though I now recall you mentioning it was a Rubicon. (y)

Reactions: Chris
That makes sense. I wondered how someone would go about getting information and whatnot on a new forum. In time, folks will add to it, of course, but until then, you don't want to be able to hear an echo in here. I mistook what you posted as work being done on your own rig. Not sure I ever even knew yours was red, though I now recall you mentioning it was a Rubicon. (y)

Oh yes, mine looks almost identical to the one in the site banner ;)

Build thread coming soon??

Yes, I haven't done anything to it since the last photos though. Hard to believe I haven't done a single thing to my Jeep in months. I guess it just goes to show how content I am with this one, there just isn't much that needs to be done other than find some time to go enjoy it!

Reactions: DrDmoney and Alex01