Wandering steering on 2013 JKU

Mit12

I just purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sarah unlimited with a 2” lift and 33/12.5/18 tires It has 122k miles on it. It is darts from side to side like it has bias ply tires with toe out.

I checked the tow setting and it is 3/16 toe in.

I checked the ball joints and I can not see or fill any movement.

I set the air pressure in the tires to 32psi (this helped a bunch.)

I checked the steering box for excessive slop it feels tight.

I am wondering if the steering damper is worn out?

Suggestions? What do you guys think?

F139475D-E04C-484E-B71F-561E5F6C5EBF.jpeg

I just purchased a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sarah unlimited with a 2” lift and 33/12.5/18 tires It has 122k miles on it. It is darts from side to side like it has bias ply tires with toe out.

I checked the tow setting and it is 3/16 toe in.

I checked the ball joints and I can not see or fill any movement.

I set the air pressure in the tires to 32psi (this helped a bunch.)

I checked the steering box for excessive slop it feels tight.

I am wondering if the steering damper is worn out?

Suggestions? What do you guys think?

View attachment 121632
Not sure about the Sahara, but checking the stabilzer bar (steering damper) does seem like a good step. Have you noticed if there much bump steer? When you run over a rough spot in the road does the steering wheel jump try to turn side to side? You can also check while parked by straightening the wheels, and jumping on the front bumper. Watch the steering wheel and see whether is moves from side to side.

I took it to a guy here in Havasu that is known to be ”the guy” for jeeps. He looked a it and noticed that it stll has the stock Shocks and steering damper and it has 122k miles. He said that the tire wear looks real good and if it was his jeep he would purchase a good steering damper like the fox 2.0 and a good set of shocks like the Bilstein 5100s at least. Than bring it back to him for an alignment check. Parts are ordered and we will see what becomes of it.

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
Not sure about the Sahara, but checking the stabilzer bar (steering damper) does seem like a good step. Have you noticed if there much bump steer? When you run over a rough spot in the road does the steering wheel jump try to turn side to side? You can also check while parked by straightening the wheels, and jumping on the front bumper. Watch the steering wheel and see whether is moves from side to side.
It does not bump steer, it is really affected by grouves in the road add in a cross wind and it is a hand full at 65mh.

• Wow
Reactions: Duster and mrjp
Curious to hear what your guy sees.

My 08 that my son drives was all over.

1. Did Dry steering test big time. There was some loose this and that.(don’t remember, tie Rod I think)

2, 2” lift and BFG 35’s, I had to get adjustable control arms (upper) and dial up the Caster , this was a Massive change).
3, very slight adjustment to steering gear box as the very last thing.

Toe in alignment, tires are way below 32, that seems high, but each Jeep needs what it needs.

I’d measure Caster, and the shocks and damper don’t hurt, but those I think mask real issues, reality is you should be able to drive without a steering stabilizer.

It does not bump steer, it is really affected by grouves in the road add in a cross wind and it is a hand full at 65mh.
For me this is road dependent. There are some older roads that are super annoying to drive down on my jeep after I put bigger tires on. Because the grooves are a bit closer together than my jeeps it is like having the alignment off. It will try and track in one groove and then pull over to the other.
It was my main road to my last job, so I spent awhile trying to track down alignment issues, turned out it was just a really bad road. Taking the jeep on the interstate it ran smooth and true.

Def find a new smooth road before judging how your alignment is. Even today, that road makes me feel as like I need a trip to the shop.

Adding in a crosswind on that road sucked. Great way to give someone jeep alignment anxiety.

For me this is road dependent. There are some older roads that are super annoying to drive down on my jeep after I put bigger tires on. Because the grooves are a bit closer together than my jeeps it is like having the alignment off. It will try and track in one groove and then pull over to the other.
It was my main road to my last job, so I spent awhile trying to track down alignment issues, turned out it was just a really bad road. Taking the jeep on the interstate it ran smooth and true.

Def find a new smooth road before judging how your alignment is. Even today, that road makes me feel as like I need a trip to the shop.

Adding in a crosswind on that road sucked. Great way to give someone jeep alignment anxiety.
You are correct, I live in lake Havasu and it is 120 in the summer. The roads get groves and stuff that the tires like to climb. My Jeep has a 2.5 inch lift and 33X12.5/18 all terrain tires that are pretty square edged. The Jeep has 122k miles on it and the factory steering stabilizer was pretty soft and I am sure that the factory shocks are worn out aso. I put on a fox 2.0 heavy duty steering stabilizer and it is 100 times better. When I get back from my trip I will be putting a new set of shocks that are made for the extra 2.5 inch lift.

The guy that I talked to suggested that I get these two items taken care of before I take it to him to have the ball joints checked and an alignment. He is telling me that with the 2.5 inch lift and the tires I have he is sure that I will be super happy with it when he is finished with it.

You are correct, I live in lake Havasu and it is 120 in the summer. The roads get groves and stuff that the tires like to climb. My Jeep has a 2.5 inch lift and 33X12.5/18 all terrain tires that are pretty square edged. The Jeep has 122k miles on it and the factory steering stabilizer was pretty soft and I am sure that the factory shocks are worn out aso. I put on a fox 2.0 heavy duty steering stabilizer and it is 100 times better. When I get back from my trip I will be putting a new set of shocks that are made for the extra 2.5 inch lift.

The guy that I talked to suggested that I get these two items taken care of before I take it to him to have the ball joints checked and an alignment. He is telling me that with the 2.5 inch lift and the tires I have he is sure that I will be super happy with it when he is finished with it.
i live in bullhead city, who is the guy in havasu you are using????