W5A580, NAG1, 722.6 Valve body upgrades

clinter36

Hello,

New to the forum... I have a 2012 JKU Rubi with about 100k miles. (auto trans)

I would like to pull the transmission valve body and do a few upgrades / wear items along with a good flush. I have watched a few videos (most are from older Mercedes Diesel) and there are quite a few different "kits" and parts one can swap. Transgo has a kit that covers a couple different items in the valve body, Sonnax has a TCC damper valve kit and a kit for the 3 overlap control valve sleeves. There are also the blue top solenoids, which the Charger/Challenger guys like to swap from the Mercedes AMG. Anyway, I am wondering if anyone here has dome some of these items and has recommendations... like: stay away from the blue tops (which I am not planning to do)?

2ndly is the exhaust crossover pipe. I have read a few have had luck getting the trans pan out by jacking up on the transfer case. Wondering if there is enough room to pull the valve body that way or if I just need to suck it up and pull the exhaust. AND if I do pull the exhaust, should I be thinking about welding a drop U at the interference point of the front driveshaft (for future upgrades)

Thanks
clint

I've never read of, or frankly considered, modifying the trans of our JK's.

I guess my first question would be, to what end? When I was in to muscle cars, throwing in a shift kit in the 727 tranny in my Charger or Roadrunner was par for the course. But that was to improve shift points/create firmer shifts.

For what I do in my Jeep, I haven't come across any mods that would be beneficial, but that's not to say there aren't any, I'm just not aware of them.

I go back to my original question, what's the goal?

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
good question. The goal is not performance necessarily. Its more about restoring crisp shift and torque converter lockups that are slowly faded away with 100k miles of wear. Also by bringing back fast shifts it should help reduce heat and clutch wear, helping extend the lift of the transmission.

Transgo kit and benefits

All of the little pistons move back and forth in the valve body and they wear. As they wear they start to let fluid slip past reducing pressure, etc

Here is a video of the shift overlap valve Shift overlap valve kit installation

From my perspective, its more of a maintenance / restoration thing. I like to feel like everything is working in tip top shape. As sort of a hobby, I occasionally buy and restore equipment (Tractors, skid steers, etc). And its amazing how a piece of equipment nearly left for dead can be brought back to nice working condition by going through all of the little stuff - for example O rings and hoses (usually there is one main issue that needs addressed, then everything else just needs the small stuff - fluids and seals.)

Reactions: tommyryy
That's fair, and OEM isn't Always better. IMO, stock components have suited my needs well. I don't know that I see the benefit of aftermarket if you are just restoring to factory.

But I'm not a transmission guy, either ;)

I have two 2007 Charger SRT8s. On NAG1 a Shift kit made a nice difference with new fluid (twice in a few months) on 80k mile SRT8. 2nd fluid being Quantum Blue. Recommend better than OEM torque converter before 150K miles.
My neighbor had to replace her 08 at 150k ish miles. Preventative vs rebuild. I am a "slight" transmission guy and took a class in college, knew 2 or 3 master transmission overhaulers. AKA shop owners.
2nd SRT8 I'll swap Valve body (World wide specialty parts is cheap) and torque converter to improved design. 133k miles but fluid was changed 60k and 120k.

ALWAYS replace conductor plate and "comm port" if going into NAG1 "722.6" transmission for valve body as they don't cost much. Or if look burned ect. Diablo tuner helps ;)