Vibration in gear when stopped

rllorente

So I'm getting accustomed to my Jeep after owning it for a few days.

I noticed when I pop it into gear when I'm stopped(break pedal depressed or not), the jeep gets very vibratey. Once I start give it gas and start moving, it ceases, but the minute I stop at a light, etc. it starts again. It almost seems like my tranny is putting more stress on itself than it needs to. This does not happen in park either. It shifts beautifully(no hesitation, no slipping), so I don't think it's a bad transmission. I'm thinking maybe I should check the tranny mounts? Any thoughts?

Or is this just the way Wranglers are? I know I'm going from a comfort boarder-line luxury GTI to a rough and tumble Wrangler.

My JK is doing the exact same thing, I have already replaced the driver motor mount that had a split in the vulcanized rubber. Also performed a complete tune up including coil replacement. I’m hoping it’s not a bad torque converter. Looking for feedback on what you found was the culprit?

Reactions: Chris
Yes, definitely let us know what the mechanic says. I'm curious to know, as I always like to hear what things turned out to be.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
It was the transmission mount after all. I had checked the mounts multiple times, but didn’t see any movement or torn/worn rubber normally associated with worn mount issues. The mounts are deceiving based on the design. While each side looked good, the issue was the mounts had shifted over time allowing metal to metal wear in the middle of the mount. This is hard to see unless you drop the skid plate. I have posted pictures showing both the worn and new mounts.

983843F3-BBF0-459C-BF79-EC25661C740D.jpeg

7651EF09-86AC-4305-AB2C-CD7DA69C7D80.jpeg

73208EEB-464D-47FD-BCCA-25198588E06F.jpeg

671B41C2-19A0-4273-9CF2-50CB4A9380AC.jpeg

Thanks for updating us, I know i'm getting some vibration and maybe should check mine.

Do you do side work? My transmission mount was diagnosed to be bad and getting vibration too. Live in Ct?