USSPEEDO Insert Frustration

Ratbikerod

Supporting Member
So, one of the marked vanity items I got and installed this weekend that ended up being a complete FUBAR. Now my speedo and temp gauges do not work correctly. Followed directions to the letter and the speedo is janky and tends to go up to 80 and stick and I get nothing on the temp gauges. Ram the gauge test and they all worked, but now I guess I am going to have to ship it in and get it looked at.

Unless someone has some magic they know of. I think the stepper motors are not working right. Tach and fuel seem to function just fine, although the tach can be a little glitchy.

74499806955__361C7C6E-9ED1-4805-ABD8-FA034E6EAAA9.jpeg

On your temp gauge. Did you pull the stem from the stepper motor when you removed the needle? For the speedo, is the retaining ring perfectly flat and clipped in all the way?

So, one of the marked vanity items I got and installed this weekend that ended up being a complete FUBAR. Now my speedo and temp gauges do not work correctly. Followed directions to the letter and the speedo is janky and tends to go up to 80 and stick and I get nothing on the temp gauges. Ram the gauge test and they all worked, but now I guess I am going to have to ship it in and get it looked at.

Unless someone has some magic they know of. I think the stepper motors are not working right. Tach and fuel seem to function just fine, although the tach can be a little glitchy.

View attachment 127733

Are these full gauge replacements or just faceplates?

Yea, just the faceplate. Kicking myself for doing it now. Speedo goes up in hitches then tends to stick. I thought it was maybe the face not laying flat, but I do not see that or feel it. The temp gauge passes the gauge test, but then does not move.

And, it’s not like I have never done a face plate swap like this before, I have and never had a problem. Probably the stepper motors are just old and did not handle the movement well.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I read on another forum the gauge cluster needs to recalibrated even if a refacing is done. I have no idea whether or not this is correct, but I'm just throwing it out there.

I read on another forum the gauge cluster needs to recalibrated even if a refacing is done. I have no idea whether or not this is correct, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Should not.

However, I called USSPEED today and talked to a very helpful tech (Jake). Seems what I needed to do is to take a something small enough to fit in a hole behind the gauge (in this case a 15mm Torque head driver) and press on the pin housing. He said sometimes the process of pulling the needles, which involves pressing them in first, causes them to not pop back out and the needle will not move well.

Did this procedure and got the temp gauge working (felt it move forward from the back), but had to do it a few times and fiddle with the needed on the speedo. But now they are all functioning properly.

I was not looking forward to shipping it in for repair and luckily now do not have to.

Anyhow, I think with a later model this may not have been as much of an issue as I researched this heavily and saw no negative comments. I do like the look of the yellow gauge faces.

Should not.

However, I called USSPEED today and talked to a very helpful tech (Jake). Seems what I needed to do is to take a something small enough to fit in a hole behind the gauge (in this case a 15mm Torque head driver) and press on the pin housing. He said sometimes the process of pulling the needles, which involves pressing them in first, causes them to not pop back out and the needle will not move well.

Did this procedure and got the temp gauge working (felt it move forward from the back), but had to do it a few times and fiddle with the needed on the speedo. But now they are all functioning properly.

I was not looking forward to shipping it in for repair and luckily now do not have to.

Anyhow, I think with a later model this may not have been as much of an issue as I researched this heavily and saw no negative comments. I do like the look of the yellow gauge faces.

Glad you got it figured out! Thanks for posting your fix to this too.