Trying for a second key.

Dan44

Hello,
I purchased a 2008 Wrangler and the previous owner only had one key. I'm trying to get a second key made but I'm running into issues. First place cut a key but could not program the key into my jeep. They kept the key.
A little research on the trusty internet lead me to the conclusion that a second key had to be done at a dealer. And that is where I went today. They cut a key but could not program the key into my jeep. Said my WCW module (their term) is having issues. My current keyfob works for locking/unlocking the doors with my current key. They then wanted to do a diagnostic for a fee ($80) to find out why. I got handed a bill for $260 for a smart, not programmed key.
They gave me a copy of the current codes in the system, 2 are related to this problem. B1A24 (key not programmed), B1A26 (maximum number of keys programmed). The jeep came from Canada and it could have had 8 (I think 8 is the max) keys programmed. They said they could remove old keys from the system. They couldn't do it today as that had to be scheduled in.
I have read about SKIM deletes, SKREEMs, not sure what those are. Will a new SKIM be needed for my new key with buttons to work? I found a company that will flash/reflash, somehow modify my old ECM to work with a SKIM delete. I'm not crazy about the SKIM delete, and I'm also not crazy going back and handing out more handfuls of money just to get a key made. Any advice. thoughts, experiences about keys/keyfobs, discussion will be nice.
So something has to give, but I'm afraid it's going to be out of my wallet.

Dealer can easily remove old lost keys from the system, just takes money and an appointment. My wife lost both her keys for her Taurus. (I don't ask how) Towed to dealer, they made two new keys for $700. It's a racket, but the dealers hold the pat hand. Don't bother swapping system parts because you pay to have them programmed at the dealer, just schedule the Jeep in for a key system cleaning and have TWO keys made.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
The price for keys is seriously outrageous. They claim it takes all this time and labor when really it's just a program for the FOB that all the dealerships have.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I too have had key issues. Mine was the no start no crank issue. Took weeks to resolve. I had the original factory key that came with the jeep. Purchased 2 new keys from Amazon. Had them cut . Programmed with the jku app thru the OBD reader. All was good for several months, then problems showed up. Turns out, the ignition module had to be replaced. Codes finally showed up skim module bad, etc.

Spoke with a locksmith that replaces factory keys. He tested all the keys, two new, one old. All good with the signals to he skim module. Found out there is an issue with the computer on jk models that required a reflash. You must have the PIN code for this to be done. If you have the code you don’t have to go to the dealer. However, if you have to replace the skim module, it does have to go to the dealer because of the anti theft requirements (government) . There is a company that can reprogram your computer to deliver the skim device. Downside to that is you loose the anti theft, and you have to pull the computer, send it to them, get it back and reinstall.
Currently I’m just using the old battered up key. How this helps.

My first trip to the dealer didn't end well. But they are willing to make me a happy camper, so to speak. I have a $260 key that will open the doors but not start the car. I go back in a week for round two. Wish me luck.