Towing

JoeFab

I have a pre owned 2017 JKU Sport 3.6L V6. From the CarFax I see that a trailer hitch was added at the dealership prior to new sale.
I am considering getting a small boat to tow less than 1/4..drop it in the water, pull it out and back home another 1/4 mile. I think the max tow limit on it is 2000lbs. However is that weight based on towing long miles, up hills, stopping and going in traffic ..normal driving??
Or would I be able tow a heavier boat (3500lbs) down the street drop it, pull it out and return home without any issues??
Would the engine trans and frame handle it? I'm not worried about the brakes as I would be going no faster than 10mph.
Any ideas from knowledgeable people?
Many people and websites are stating that the JKU is capable of 3500lbs however I believe that is only with equipped vehicles such as 3.73 gears etc. vs the standard 3.21.

Reactions: vaffanculo
The weight on the trailer is according to the Jeep's specs when it was made, gears, transmission, wheel base.

Here you can look up the Specs on your Jeep.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
I pulled this trailer at roughly 2000-2200 pounds. It was just ok towing. I wouldn’t consider near double that!

IMG_0368.jpeg

I have a pre owned 2017 JKU Sport 3.6L V6. From the CarFax I see that a trailer hitch was added at the dealership prior to new sale.
I am considering getting a small boat to tow less than 1/4..drop it in the water, pull it out and back home another 1/4 mile. I think the max tow limit on it is 2000lbs. However is that weight based on towing long miles, up hills, stopping and going in traffic ..normal driving??
Or would I be able tow a heavier boat (3500lbs) down the street drop it, pull it out and return home without any issues??
Would the engine trans and frame handle it? I'm not worried about the brakes as I would be going no faster than 10mph.
Any ideas from knowledgeable people?
Many people and websites are stating that the JKU is capable of 3500lbs however I believe that is only with equipped vehicles such as 3.73 gears etc. vs the standard 3.21.
Yes that is the G.V.W.R. gross vehicle weight rating of the after market hitch..don't forget that weight doesn't include the trailer so it's the boat and the trailer combined ..most jeeps are rated 3500 lbs but the previous owner put a lower rated hitch on it apparently

I believe to get the 3500lbs you have to have the factory towing package:

"Fortunately, the Jeep Wrangler tow package outfits your Jeep Wrangler for the demands this puts on the vehicle. This kit includes:

A Genuine Class IV Jeep Wrangler Hitch
A Genuine Jeep Full-Size Spare
An Enhanced Cooling System
A Genuine Jeep Wiring Harness
A Genuine Jeep Heavy-Duty 180A Alternator"

Reactions: Dirty Dog