Tires & Wheels

Shake&Bake

Hey guys, bare with me please, I’m new at this!! Bought my 15 year old daughter her “Dream Vehicle”, she claims anyway. It’s a 08 Jeep Sahara, of course she wants big tires, lift kit, lights & everything else you could possibly put on it!! I really don’t want to do a lift right now since she’s just starting to drive. I found a good deal on a set of rims that she likes, only problem is their 17” & the Jeep has 18” on it. If I can use the 17’s I’d like to keep the same tire height I have now on the 18’s, (255-70-18). Can I make this work with the 17’s? She wants a wider tire as well, I don’t mind adding spacers if I need to. Just figured you all might be able to give me some recommendations or advice on what to do!!! I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Hey guys, bare with me please, I’m new at this!! Bought my 15 year old daughter her “Dream Vehicle”, she claims anyway. It’s a 08 Jeep Sahara, of course she wants big tires, lift kit, lights & everything else you could possibly put on it!! I really don’t want to do a lift right now since she’s just starting to drive. I found a good deal on a set of rims that she likes, only problem is their 17” & the Jeep has 18” on it. If I can use the 17’s I’d like to keep the same tire height I have now on the 18’s, (255-70-18). Can I make this work with the 17’s? She wants a wider tire as well, I don’t mind adding spacers if I need to. Just figured you all might be able to give me some recommendations or advice on what to do!!! I would greatly appreciate any help!!

Alright Shake&Bake, I love it. I bought an 05 for a 15 year old and an 08 for a 15 year old 2 years later. Show a Pic of your young ladies Jeep!

Can you provide a little infor:

You can get all kinds of tire heights in the different rims. I have BFG's on my son's 08, 35" Mud Terrain, and they are on 15" rims.

I like a wider bulldog look, so I run spacers, but get the kind that bolt to the hub, then have their own bolts. I would not run the ones that the studs just run through, ever.

You're just on a tire search, what brand are the 22-70-18's? Also curious how wide are the rims you have and are looking at, not diameter. Short answer, yes, you can get the same height tire or wider with a 17" rim, generically speaking, but the tire width has to work with the wheel width as well...not same number, but you don't put 10" wide tires on 10" rims, rim is smaller.

"Big" lift can be perspective. If you put 2" suspension with a 1" body lift, that's a lot of height in my opinion, and I know for my 08 will fit 35" BFG Muds with no rubbing. It drives very well.

If you put on bigger tires, either way I'd go through the steering on the Jeep. I put my boys in Jeeps, and you want the steering buttoned up. I'd make sure the drag link and tie rod ends are all tight, do the dry steering test and do the home toe in alignment. Everything tight and no movement, and it should drive well all speeds. Bigger tires, and wider set wheels/tires will expose that more, so good to have it buttoned up.