Tire Size Gear Ratio Charts

JerryD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporting Member
I haven't seen these on this forum yet, if I missed it please delete.

38gears-1200x1709.png

36gears-1200x1709.png

Yup, that is much more granular and precise. I like to show the charts to people who ask "do I really have to regear" to illustrate the impact regearing has.
Right on man! I was in no way trying to sharpshoot- I definitely appreciate you posting the charts to help answer the age old question!

Right on man! I was in no way trying to sharpshoot- I definitely appreciate you posting the charts to help answer the age old question!

Looks like the chart is pretty accurate. I plugged in the tire size, transfer case, etc into your link and it differs by 1 rpm from the chart above.

I just had my '07 JKU re-geared from 4.10's to 5.13's (42RLE transmission) on 35's and it is soooo much better. Have a pretty steep 7 mile long grade between work and home and with OD off she'd huff and puff switchin gears and shootin up RPMs to try and get up that sucker....going 55.... It was the worst.

So I bit the bullet and went with Motive 5.13's and Eaton Truetracs front and rear (I don't do a lot of hard technical rock crawling to need a full time locker) and maaaaaan. Night and day difference. Transmission is shifting great, she's pulling the grade at 65mph no problem, and I'm sitting around 2200-2300 rpm at 65-70ish on the flats.

My freaking gas mileage even got better.

Only thing I've enjoyed as much as this is the PSC big bore kit I put in. Probably my two best mods so far.

Looks like the chart is pretty accurate. I plugged in the tire size, transfer case, etc into your link and it differs by 1 rpm from the chart above.

I just had my '07 JKU re-geared from 4.10's to 5.13's (42RLE transmission) on 35's and it is soooo much better. Have a pretty steep 7 mile long grade between work and home and with OD off she'd huff and puff switchin gears and shootin up RPMs to try and get up that sucker....going 55.... It was the worst.

So I bit the bullet and went with Motive 5.13's and Eaton Truetracs front and rear (I don't do a lot of hard technical rock crawling to need a full time locker) and maaaaaan. Night and day difference. Transmission is shifting great, she's pulling the grade at 65mph no problem, and I'm sitting around 2200-2300 rpm at 65-70ish on the flats.

My freaking gas mileage even got better.

Only thing I've enjoyed as much as this is the PSC big bore kit I put in. Probably my two best mods so far.
Right on! I remember when I re-geared to 4.88s with my NSG370 and I only regret not doing it sooner! I live in SC, but in the blue ridge mountain area and the inclines were killing me! I'm hoping the 37s will help my gas mileage (as I'm a little too deep for my current 35s), but based on the link, I should be good to hook.

Extremely happy we all came together to help one another out with good info.

Reactions: Vman
Hello, new to the forum. Just got a 2017 wrangler rubicon. Needs tires and has never been lifted. My question is can I go to a 33 tire and use the stock rubicon lift? Current tire is 35 x 12.5R17.

• Face Palm
Reactions: mrjp
Hello, new to the forum. Just got a 2017 wrangler rubicon. Needs tires and has never been lifted. My question is can I go to a 33 tire and use the stock rubicon lift? Current tire is 35 x 12.5R17.
You want to go to a smaller tire? That's unusual for a Jeeper...

Reactions: Danarch
I think that one thing those charts really tell us is how completely useless the standard 3.21 gears are. I would think that 3.73 should be standard, 4.10 available in all trims, and 4.56 an option with 32" tires. But hey, that would actually make sense...

Reactions: run2jeepn
I think that one thing those charts really tell us is how completely useless the standard 3.21 gears are. I would think that 3.73 should be standard, 4.10 available in all trims, and 4.56 an option with 32" tires. But hey, that would actually make sense...

Like the other OEMs, the CAFE standards have to be factored into the equation. Since the large majority of Wranglers will never leave the road 3.21 coupled with the 5-spd gearing is perfectly acceptable. I find mine (with 32's) to have no driveability issues for street use. Certainly going larger diameter or depending on the type of off-road usage and that changes things...

Reactions: BLACKJKU