Spider gear replacement

JamesC

Took the rear cover off the other day and seen the edges of the top and bottom spider gears are broken off everything else looks fine been doing some reading seems a little intimidating but I'm gonna try it. Should I use original bolts or is it ok to use the new ones in the set and are the torque settings the same from what I've read as long as I put everything back in the way it originally came out it won't be out of line is this right any info would be helpful

You shouldn't have to remove the carrier to replace the spider gears, jack up the rear. There's 1 bolt that holds the center rod in then pull the rod out put in neutral and turn the wheels until the opening comes around. Then put back into park then then you should be able to turn the tires and the one set of gears will come out. Then after they are out just pull the side gears that are where the axle shafts are, no new bolts are needed. Either a new gasket or some good RTV sealant for the cover and put cover back on, then fill up with some 80-90w gear oil.