Smittybilt XRC tailgate with tire carrier (is anyone else's really tight?)

Immrtn02

New to forum and new JK owner. Just have a question for anyone with the smittybilt XRC tailgate. Recently purchased it and just completed the install (instructions were horrible by the way). My question is, is anyone else's tailgate extremely tight to the rear window making it feel like the rear window could shatter any second? Hinge side is flush but unless I slam the door the handle side sticks out a bit. Any kind of fix that anyone has done to relieve some of the pressure on the window? Really just worried that If I start rocking the Jeep at all the window is gonna bust 🤔.

New to forum and new JK owner. Just have a question for anyone with the smittybilt XRC tailgate. Recently purchased it and just completed the install (instructions were horrible by the way). My question is, is anyone else's tailgate extremely tight to the rear window making it feel like the rear window could shatter any second? Hinge side is flush but unless I slam the door the handle side sticks out a bit. Any kind of fix that anyone has done to relieve some of the pressure on the window? Really just worried that If I start rocking the Jeep at all the window is gonna bust 🤔.
So its basically touching? That sounds like something is out of spec. I would contact Smittybilt.

I know their manufacturing is sub par.

So its basically touching? That sounds like something is out of spec. I would contact Smittybilt.

I know their manufacturing is sub par.
It's putting pressure along the rubber lining when shut that then makes the window creak. Wondering if I need to take it to 4 wheel parts to have them check it or just return it and put old one back on.

It's putting pressure along the rubber lining when shut that then makes the window creak. Wondering if I need to take it to 4 wheel parts to have them check it or just return it and put old one back on.
Either one would be a good option.

I would personally return it and go for something like JCR Offroad or a higher quality manufacturer. I know its more expensive, but I have heard of smittybilt tire carriers sagging after a short time. I hear JCR Offroad makes high quality products.

Either one would be a good option.

I would personally return it and go for something like JCR Offroad or a higher quality manufacturer. I know its more expensive, but I have heard of smittybilt tire carriers sagging after a short time. I hear JCR Offroad makes high quality products.
Thanks!

Can you post a picture? I want to compare it with my buddy, who has the same setup.
It def is a snug fit. I like the look but very cumbersome and the window thing. I dont think it will actually break the glass but also maybe because the tailgate could withstand a bomb blast but the rest of the Jeep will be obliterated 🤣..

20200131_105554.jpg

20200131_103907.jpg

20200131_104832.jpg

Reactions: Chris
Oh! I thought it was a spare tire carrier on the bumper. To me this looks correct.
Oh sorry I may not have explained it right. I do like the overall look but was just curious that if there is a little more strain on the window from the tailgate could that possibly make it shatter when rocking the jeep more than just down the street.

Yep, I can tell you from looking at his first hand, that is exactly what his looks like. He's never had any issues with it, and he has a 35 mounted to it and does some decent off-roading, so I doubt you have anything to worry about honestly.

Yep, I can tell you from looking at his first hand, that is exactly what his looks like. He's never had any issues with it, and he has a 35 mounted to it and does some decent off-roading, so I doubt you have anything to worry about honestly.
Ok perfect. Thanks so much!