Should I get new TPMS with new wheels?

Fargo

I am in the process of installing a new AEV 3.5" lift alonq with new wheels and tires. Since I will not need my old wheels and tires I could either sell them or use them as winter tires. However, I would like to have the TPMS in my new wheels. Is it best to have the old TPMS pulled out of the old wheels and get rid of the wheels and tires or should I order a new set of 5 TPMS for my new wheels and keep the old wheels around with fully active TPMS?

Does anyone make a good quality TPMS for less than the Mopar? Those things are crazy expensive. Its not worth $90 per TPMS by any stretch of the imagination.

First there are at least 2 different frequency's so you have to make sure to get them for the correct year of JK.

If you want to keep your old tires and wheels for winter tires then you'll want to have the TPMS in them probably.

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy new TPMS for the new wheels then to pay someone to remove them from your old wheels.

Most of us just Delete the TPMS altogether just another one of those electrical things to have a problem with.

First there are at least 2 different frequency's so you have to make sure to get them for the correct year of JK.

If you want to keep your old tires and wheels for winter tires then you'll want to have the TIPM's in them probably.

It would be cheaper in the long run to buy new TIPM's for the new wheels then to pay someone to remove them from your old wheels.

Most of us just Delete the TIPM's altogether just another one of those electrical things to have a problem with.
Hope you meant TPMS there instead of TIPM :LOL:

I did that for my winter tires/summer tires on my CRV.

My wife drives it most of the time and if I ask her how the tire pressure is she just stares at me like I'm speaking Martian.

Reactions: mrjp
I am in the process of installing a new AEV 3.5" lift alonq with new wheels and tires. Since I will not need my old wheels and tires I could either sell them or use them as winter tires. However, I would like to have the TPMS in my new wheels. Is it best to have the old TPMS pulled out of the old wheels and get rid of the wheels and tires or should I order a new set of 5 TPMS for my new wheels and keep the old wheels around with fully active TPMS?

Does anyone make a good quality TPMS for less than the Mopar? Those things are crazy expensive. Its not worth $90 per TPMS by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're keeping them might as well have a second set, especially if you're planning on always having a set of winter/summer tires.

Not really necessary in a JK if you get some good 3 peak rated AT's imho though, especially if you find yourself airing down.

Pretty much everyone in a Jeep disables them like previously mentioned.

I didn't realize everyone was disabling this. I guess that's an option. Although I have to admit, I kind of like how easy it is to check tire pressure when its right there on the dash. If I was ordering a new Jeep and had to pay extra for TPMS I would never pay extra for it. So from that perspective it doesn't make sense that I would buy additional TPMS monitors. Other than I would have 2 fully functional sets of wheels. But since I am installing BFG AT KO2 tires that have the mountain snowflake rating, I don't really know why I would need the extra set of tires sitting around. So maybe its best to just pull the TPMS out of the original wheels if I really want that feature.

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate all the input.

I didn't realize everyone was disabling this. I guess that's an option. Although I have to admit, I kind of like how easy it is to check tire pressure when its right there on the dash. If I was ordering a new Jeep and had to pay extra for TPMS I would never pay extra for it. So from that perspective it doesn't make sense that I would buy additional TPMS monitors. Other than I would have 2 fully functional sets of wheels. But since I am installing BFG AT KO2 tires that have the mountain snowflake rating, I don't really know why I would need the extra set of tires sitting around. So maybe its best to just pull the TPMS out of the original wheels if I really want that feature.

That's the good thing about Forums you can get all kinds of options and then you can decide which works the best for you.

What year is your Jeep? I don't know what the life span is for the TPMS but might be worth it to just buy new ones.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Thats a very good point. Its a 2013. So the TPMS is almost 10 years old. Does the TPMS have batteries in them? How do they send a signal.

Thats a very good point. Its a 2013. So the TPMS is almost 10 years old. Does the TPMS have batteries in them? How do they send a signal.

I would think so everything else that transmits something does.

The thing is most people are putting on larger tires, which you're not running at the same pressure you'd be running on stock size tires, so it's always going to be saying "low pressure" unless you have a programmer to change them that way.

Plus if you offroad at all and air down, they're pretty much useless and annoying the entire time you're aired down.

It's not hard to pop on a digital gauge every couple weeks or so and just check em.

I found some good info here:

" Tire pressure monitoring sensors are usually powered by a 3-volt lithium ion battery. Some TPMS sensors use a 1.250-volt nickel metal hydride battery. The battery is encased in the sensor's molded plastic housing. A battery that is running low on or is depleted requires the replacement of the ENTIRE TPMS sensor assembly"

"The estimated life expectancy of an OE TPMS sensor is 5 to 12 years, with the average lifespan being 7 years. TPMS life expectancy is directly related to the number of radio frequency transmissions the sensors make. Driving habits greatly influence the number of RF transmissions a sensor makes in its lifetime. For example: sensors usually transmit when the vehicle is stopped and transmit more often when in motion. Maintaining a constant speed, such as when you're on a highway, reduces the demand on TPMS sensors and allow the sensors to transmit less often. Drivers who often find themselves driving in start-and-stop type traffic will have a greater impact on the vehicles tire pressure monitoring sensors. Weather can also have an impact on tire pressure sensor battery life. Cold conditions allow batteries to last longer. Warmer conditions take more of a toll on TPMS battery life."

So it would seem that this is a wear item that could require replacement at some point. So maybe its not a bad idea to just replace them all. Or get rid of them. Decisions Decsions.

One thing to note is that I am pretty sure the Procal that AEV includes in the lift kit can be used to change the TPMS warning pressure. So if I set my warning at 20psi, I would only have a warning ligt when aired down off road or have a serious problem

" Tire pressure monitoring sensors are usually powered by a 3-volt lithium ion battery. Some TPMS sensors use a 1.250-volt nickel metal hydride battery. The battery is encased in the sensor's molded plastic housing. A battery that is running low on or is depleted requires the replacement of the ENTIRE TPMS sensor assembly"

"The estimated life expectancy of an OE TPMS sensor is 5 to 12 years, with the average lifespan being 7 years. TPMS life expectancy is directly related to the number of radio frequency transmissions the sensors make. Driving habits greatly influence the number of RF transmissions a sensor makes in its lifetime. For example: sensors usually transmit when the vehicle is stopped and transmit more often when in motion. Maintaining a constant speed, such as when you're on a highway, reduces the demand on TPMS sensors and allow the sensors to transmit less often. Drivers who often find themselves driving in start-and-stop type traffic will have a greater impact on the vehicles tire pressure monitoring sensors. Weather can also have an impact on tire pressure sensor battery life. Cold conditions allow batteries to last longer. Warmer conditions take more of a toll on TPMS battery life."

So it would seem that this is a wear item that could require replacement at some point. So maybe its not a bad idea to just replace them all. Or get rid of them. Decisions Decsions.

One thing to note is that I am pretty sure the Procal that AEV includes in the lift kit can be used to change the TPMS warning pressure. So if I set my warning at 20psi, I would only have a warning ligt when aired down off road or have a serious problem
JScan is a pretty popular option and I think that does TPMS stuff. It's like $50 for a license and a bluetooth OBD plug. Runs on your phone.

If you have a serious problem when offroading the TPMS will probably react about the time the tire is flat. About the only time the TPMS is really good is for a slow leak.

Reactions: Vman and BigAL07