Serpentine Belt Issues

erinrose06

A little backstory: I spent a month trying to figure out why my JK was shredding belts, only to find out it was the harmonic balancer embedding iteself into the engine block and taking the belt with it (unfortunately, I spent over $1000 before realizing a $50 part was the issue). It's up and running now, barely, but I'll take what I can get.

Now, the serpentine belt is squealing at idle and acceleration. So far, the drive has been ok. The tensioner is brand new, the power steering pump and pulley is brand new, all the idler pulleys are brand new (part of the ridiculous amount I spent to fix this beautiful money pit), and obviously the harmonic balancer is brand new along with the belt. I'm not sure if it's because it's been cold, then warm (-ish for western WA), then cold or if it's the tensioner that's too tight/loose. Maybe the harmonic balancer needs to be tightened down. Black Betty is possessed by a demon. The belt is defective. Regardless, now that there's a noise, I'm SUPER suspicious and in a slight panic. This Jeep needs to last me until at least Feb when I can buy a better car and go back to using her as strickly off road. Between working full time, VA appts, and full time school I'm just a bit stressed out by this Jeep and terrified of what is wrong this time. Any suggestions? My dad is a mechanic and we both do the work ourselves (it's cheaper and I trust him more than most mechanics around here anyways). But even he is a bit frustrated with this thing.

I was curious if that was the case. I'll have to check it out. I'm afraid it's the harmonic balancer that's loose or the belt is failing. I keep checking it, though and the belt is great. Looks perfect. I'll check that out after work today.

The first thing I would suspect is that the tensioner is too tight, hence the noise.

I was curious if that was the case. I'll have to check it out. I'm afraid it's the harmonic balancer that's loose or the belt is failing. I keep checking it, though and the belt is great. Looks perfect. I'll check that out after work today.

Reactions: Chris

Let us know. Hopefully it's not the harmonic balancer... again.

Reactions: Threepointsix