Should I sell or keep my 2014 JKU?

kghumphrey

I've got a 2014 JKU. I've just had the cams, rocker arms, and lifters replaced because of the ticking noise.
I also had a metal oil cooler put on to replace the plastic one. I've replaced it twice! It's got 215,000 miles
on it. I can't decide if I need to sell it or keep it. I keep the oil changed (synthetic). Am I going to get 300,000
miles out of it? What should I do? Thanks in advance!

My 2014 has a new lease on life based on it's 7 days in the shop. Same as you, top end of the engine rebuilt with cams, lifters, etc. new oil cooler, axle seals, diff gaskets, etc. Mine has 135k and has been meticulously maintained. There's no question I'm keeping mine given the shop that did the work also gives 3 years and/or 36k mile warranty. Was just finished a couple weeks ago.
Besides, keeping it will allow me to go shopping for a vintage muscle car this weekend!
Wish list (all must be convertible):
1969-1972 Chevelle
1968-1970 Mustang
1967-1970 GTX
1969 Camaro

My 2014 has a new lease on life based on it's 7 days in the shop. Same as you, top end of the engine rebuilt with cams, lifters, etc. new oil cooler, axle seals, diff gaskets, etc. Mine has 135k and has been meticulously maintained. There's no question I'm keeping mine given the shop that did the work also gives 3 years and/or 36k mile warranty. Was just finished a couple weeks ago.
Besides, keeping it will allow me to go shopping for a vintage muscle car this weekend!
Wish list (all must be convertible):
1969-1972 Chevelle
1968-1970 Mustang
1967-1970 GTX
1969 Camaro
Thanks for your input! Not trying to change this to a vintage car thread, but, I've got a '69 Camaro. It was my first car. I drove it in high school and still have it.

Thanks for your input! Not trying to change this to a vintage car thread, but, I've got a '69 Camaro. It was my first car. I drove it in high school and still have it.
Yeah, I had one, too. For a very short period of time when I was in the Navy.

I'm in a similar boat w/ our 2015.
~160K miles.
Top end repaired, TIPM replaced, new plugs and coils.
Still needs brakes, driveline service, and rear axle seals, so I'll be into my wallet again on it soon.

That said, the depreciation associated w/ possibly selling it or trading it in is more than a bit distasteful.

I figure I'll lose $15-$20K by getting rid of it, and replacing it will cost an additional $25-$30K, which I'm unwilling to shell out.

My advise is to keep the JK and take advantage of the work that you've put into it.

I'm in a similar boat w/ our 2015.
~160K miles.
Top end repaired, TIPM replaced, new plugs and coils.
Still needs brakes, driveline service, and rear axle seals, so I'll be into my wallet again on it soon.

That said, the depreciation associated w/ possibly selling it or trading it in is more than a bit distasteful.

I figure I'll lose $15-$20K by getting rid of it, and replacing it will cost an additional $25-$30K, which I'm unwilling to shell out.

My advise is to keep the JK and take advantage of the work that you've put into it.
Don't sell your Jeep short (no pun intended). I bought mine in 2016 with 35k miles on it for $32k. Traded my loaded 2009 Tahoe LTZ with 117k miles. Took my Jeep down to $15k. I can still sell my Jeep today in this market for $20k.

Don't sell your Jeep short (no pun intended). I bought mine in 2016 with 35k miles on it for $32k. Traded my loaded 2009 Tahoe LTZ with 117k miles. Took my Jeep down to $15k. I can still sell my Jeep today in this market for $20k.
I know for a fact the market right now will only bring about $15 for ours. We bought it 2 years ago for $31 and I've put another $5-$6K into it, not counting the upcoming repairs and maintenance.
I'll never get the money that I chose to put into it back, and that's fine because I chose to make changes/mods, but I'm still pissed off about the amount of depreciation and the cost of repairs/maintenance in just 2 years of ownership.

Reactions: BigAL07