Roof Top Tent (RTT) Questions

Randun

Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a roof top tent, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different types of RTTs that are out there?

I have been doing my research and I see that there are soft tents, hard ABS/Fiberglass style tents, and I have also seen aluminum tents. Does anyone have any pros or cons of these different types of tents?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Reactions: theojoe81
TrailRecon on YouTube has a few videos on rooftop tents as well. He goes over several that he has had plus the guys he wheels with and their setups.

Reactions: Randun
Hello everyone!

I'm thinking of getting a roof top tent, and I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the different types of RTTs that are out there?

I have been doing my research and I see that there are soft tents, hard ABS/Fiberglass style tents, and I have also seen aluminum tents. Does anyone have any pros or cons of these different types of tents?

Thank you so much for your time and your help!

Just throwing this out there, but Deep Sleep for Jeeps makes an air mattress specifically for Jeeps. It'll save a few bucks. But the roof tents are pretty awesome.

Just throwing this out there, but Deep Sleep for Jeeps makes an air mattress specifically for Jeeps. It'll save a few bucks. But the roof tents are pretty awesome.
This is what I use all the time, sleep in the jeep with wife and 65lbs dog, really comfortable and easy to store.
Also we don't get rocked when it's windy like my friends on the rtt. I have windows vents too.
In winter I use pre heat the car before going to bed and it's toasty.
I'm still eyeing a hardshell like the roofnest, but I don't need it at all.

This is what I use all the time, sleep in the jeep with wife and 65lbs dog, really comfortable and easy to store.
Also we don't get rocked when it's windy like my friends on the rtt. I have windows vents too.
In winter I use pre heat the car before going to bed and it's toasty.
I'm still eyeing a hardshell like the roofnest, but I don't need it at all.
Thank you so much for your opinion!

I have seen some RTTs hold up pretty well in the wind (almost all of my friends have transfered over from ground tents to RTTs).

Have you heard anything about Tuff Stuff Overland's RTTs? I have been eyeing these two for a bit now and have heard great reviews on them:

Thank you so much for your opinion!

I have seen some RTTs hold up pretty well in the wind (almost all of my friends have transfered over from ground tents to RTTs).

Have you heard anything about Tuff Stuff Overland's RTTs? I have been eyeing these two for a bit now and have heard great reviews on them:

I looked into them and i think the side opening is nice, but wonder if it's harder to fold back..
i know SB has little love in those forums but i really like this one decently priced and looks pretty low profile.

I looked into them and i think the side opening is nice, but wonder if it's harder to fold back..
i know SB has little love in those forums but i really like this one decently priced and looks pretty low profile.
I have heard great things about this company, their customer service, and their products. I'm really leaning towards Tuff Stuff Overland's offerings.

Which SB tent are you looking at?

sorry, didn't realized my link was broken.. .check it out
That tent looks sick! I love the way it looks closed up too.

There are so many hard shell RTTs to choose from now. I have been doing probably way too much research on them, but I think I have made my decision based on all of the positive feedback that I have been getting.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Have fun out there!

Reactions: theRealCrazy
I had the Yakima Skyrise and for the most part loved it, until we had to leave camp and run to the store. That being said loved the quick set up, and the light weight made installation and removal simple (after I figured out the correct leverage and angles so I could remove and install it myself), and extra "room" when folded so we could leave our pillows and sleeping bags inside when traveling.

4E9B7F0B-BE7D-4D26-BE69-929633C4661E.jpeg

C5CCA5FA-FFC4-4677-B959-42CCC03A35C3.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg

I had the Yakima Skyrise and for the most part loved it, until we had to leave camp and run to the store. That being said loved the quick set up, and the light weight made installation and removal simple (after I figured out the correct leverage and angles so I could remove and install it myself), and extra "room" when folded so we could leave our pillows and sleeping bags inside when traveling.

View attachment 117127

View attachment 117129View attachment 117131
What a beautiful set up you have!

Thank you so much for your opinions on your tent too. I really appreciate it.

Did you get a new tent? I saw how you said "had" and not "have." :)

What a beautiful set up you have! Thank you!!

Thank you so much for your opinions on your tent too. I really appreciate it.

Did you get a new tent? I saw how you said "had" and not "have." :)

Short version is that we did not get a new one, and a month ago gave it to a friend of mine who will use it more than we did, simply went back to camping on the ground as it works better for us.