Replace hardtop with soft top

Diesel1968

I have a 2008 Jk and want to replace my hardtop with a soft top for summer time driving. I normally just take the hardtop off and hang it in the garage for summer and drive my spare car for rainy days. Well, don’t have a spare car anymore, so I think I need to get a soft top. Any suggestions on top to buy and what is needed to do this. I suppose some kind of frame and top? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Reactions: vaffanculo
I have a 2008 Jk and want to replace my hardtop with a soft top for summer time driving. I normally just take the hardtop off and hang it in the garage for summer and drive my spare car for rainy days. Well, don’t have a spare car anymore, so I think I need to get a soft top. Any suggestions on top to buy and what is needed to do this. I suppose some kind of frame and top? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
You didn't mention if yours is a 2dr or 4dr.

I looked into this for my 2dr and found that I needed a header bar for the top of the windshield, roll bar brackets, door surrounds, and tailgate bar. That being said, I found numerous relatively unused factory soft tops on Marketplace that included all of the above.

I started wondering why and found that the soft top "dropping" process isn't a quick process, relatively speaking. I decided I'll probably go with some form of soft half cab config for the Summer with a tonneau. Still undecided, though.

My situation is like your previous one in that I have another vehicle available, however...

Something like this. Mastertop offers a similar product:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11180_423X_PG.htm

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I did just what tJK said, I found a relatively new top on marketplace that included all brackets. Any small pieces that might need replacing can be purchased through quadratec…here is the 2 door break down for instance.

https://www.quadratec.com/jeep-replacement-parts/wrangler-jk/soft-top-hardware-parts-2-door

As far as installation goes, with a friend to help, I thought it was a simple and quick process. I have a hard top for winter use and swap to the soft as soon as weather permits

Good luck

Reactions: tJKrider
You didn't mention if yours is a 2dr or 4dr.

I looked into this for my 2dr and found that I needed a header bar for the top of the windshield, roll bar brackets, door surrounds, and tailgate bar. That being said, I found numerous relatively unused factory soft tops on Marketplace that included all of the above.

I started wondering why and found that the soft top "dropping" process isn't a quick process, relatively speaking. I decided I'll probably go with some form of soft half cab config for the Summer with a tonneau. Still undecided, though.

My situation is like your previous one in that I have another vehicle available, however...

Something like this. Mastertop offers a similar product:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/11180_423X_PG.htm
Yes, I’m sorry about that. It is a 2-door.

Go for it a soft top will make you love your jeep more then you already do...so yes there are Xtra parts needed a header rail , a tailgate bar ,and door surrounds .go on offer up ,craigslist etc. They are in abundance and most include all the parts needed I got mine for 125 bucks on offer up ...

20240209_132846.jpg