Regearing Help

trinitron12

NOOBIE HELP!!! 17 JKU just regeared to 4:88 gears but still seeing elevated RPMs at 70 MPH. currently seeing 2700-2800 RPMs at 70MPH

Current Set up
3.6 auto
37x13.5x17 wheels
4:88 gears

I see the chart all says should be in the 2500 range and was wondering why i would be little higher and if there is anything to be concerned with.

Yes calibrated with Flashcal. and validated GPS speed is good. Speedo checks out just elevated RPMs nothing crazy but still higher than expected

Have you measured the actual wheel diameter as installed on the vehicle? Most (not all) tires are smaller than the listed diameter. If, for instance, your nominal 37" tire measures out to be 36" that could explain some of it... The calculated 2576rpm from the fear ratio chart would actually be 2648rpm

Have you measured the actual wheel diameter as installed on the vehicle? Most (not all) tires are smaller than the listed diameter. If, for instance, your nominal 37" tire measures out to be 36" that could explain some of it... The calculated 2576rpm from the fear ratio chart would actually be 2648rpm

Yes they measure out at 35 1/4. Which is crazy all by itself

Can't figure out what would cause the elevated rpms. It's just odd

That's where I'm leaning but no idea how to know that for sure.
Grab your multimeter and set it to AC.
Start the engine and connect the meter to the tach wire.
Run the RPM up to 1K, 2K, 3K and record the meter reading at each RPM. You may need to get a Lovely Assistant from the audience. If they don't match, thank your assistant and repair or replace the tach.

Reactions: 1o1Proof
Grab your multimeter and set it to AC.
Start the engine and connect the meter to the tach wire.
Run the RPM up to 1K, 2K, 3K and record the meter reading at each RPM. You may need to get a Lovely Assistant from the audience. If they don't match, thank your assistant and repair or replace the tach.

I’ve never thought about this before but, that’s good info.

Thank you.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Can't figure out what would cause the elevated rpms. It's just odd

Not odd at all really, it's a factor of the connected mechanical components. The smaller the tire diameter, the faster the engine has to turn to maintain any given linear speed, all other things held equal.

Since you verified the vehicle speed is accurate via GPS, a 35.25" actual diameter will require 2704rpm to maintain 70mph vs. the 2576rpm on the calculated gear ratio chart for a 37" tire.