Rear axle is chirpping due to wheels wobbling..

Filthiestjk

Sup guys and gals. I just finished replacing the rear axle bearings and seals in my 07 rubicon. The rear right wheel was chirping when going around 35 to 40 like the wheel was wobbling. Tire speed corresponding. When I put the bearings in.. that particular side, the bearing just kinda slipped in. Took a little tapping but nothing like the left side. It had to be knocked in. I put green lock tight around the bearing race and shoved it together.. well it's still chirpping and both side have a minute wobble with a clunking sound when you push on the top of the tire.. I'm getting ready to replace the axle itself due to the tubes being worn out I'm guessing.. opinions? Comments ? An axle is expensive🤔

Sup guys and gals. I just finished replacing the rear axle bearings and seals in my 07 rubicon. The rear right wheel was chirping when going around 35 to 40 like the wheel was wobbling. Tire speed corresponding. When I put the bearings in.. that particular side, the bearing just kinda slipped in. Took a little tapping but nothing like the left side. It had to be knocked in. I put green lock tight around the bearing race and shoved it together.. well it's still chirpping and both side have a minute wobble with a clunking sound when you push on the top of the tire.. I'm getting ready to replace the axle itself due to the tubes being worn out I'm guessing.. opinions? Comments ? An axle is expensive🤔

Have you tried swapping the front wheels to the rear just to see if it could be the wheels?

Reactions: Duster and BigAL07

Could be a bent axle shaft.

If something was bent that would be cool.. cause I could find it.. the wheel moving back and forth when you wobble it is still the problem...

I just went back and read the OP again.

The bearing shouldn't just "slip on" to the axle shaft. It's a press fit that you shouldn't be able to do by hand.

It sounds like the shaft is not tight on the bearing and that gap is allowing the axle to slop around inside that bearing.

I just went back and read the OP again.

The bearing shouldn't just "slip on" to the axle shaft. It's a press fit that you shouldn't be able to do by hand.

It sounds like the shaft is not tight on the bearing and that gap is allowing the axle to slop around inside that bearing.

Yea that's why I suggested for him to mic the shaft and the bearing ID.

Reactions: mrjp and Vman
The tire moving back and forth when it's up on Jack stands is what's got me worried. Not when it's turning, but when you push it side to side by hand
There are a number of points that could be loose. On the axel, as BlackJKU said, the most likely failure probably be the bearing where the shaft exits the housing, rather than the axel itself, or the housing. I would just as a matter thoroughness look at the control arm attachments, and the chock absorber mounts as well. You, didn't say but, if the jack stands are under the axel when you shake the wheel, well, that pretty well ties it down to the axel.