Radiator fluid smell

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
My 2012 JKU Sport gets a strong antifreeze smell in the cab regularly. It's intermittent but more often than not. Once its heated up.

I had it at my mechanics a month ago. He checked the heater core for leaks and did not find any. Although I don't think he did a pressure test.

He did find a leak in the bottom corner of my radiator. So I had it replaced with an OEM unit. He also got codes that indicated it most likely needed a new oil cooler as well. Which I had replaced with the aluminum Dorman unit and the proper Felpro o-rings.

Afterwards it still smelled. But I thought it was just residual antifreeze that had sprayed up into the engine. And would burn off.

But after a few weeks (I haven't driven alot.) I realized it was still filling the cab with antifreeze smell. As much as before. To the point I have to roll the windows down. And it makes my eyes burn slightly. No noticeable antifreeze leaks on the firewall or floor. And no significant loss of radiator fluid. Even with the radiator leak before. So the leak is small.

Other issues that may relate:

1) The heater blows but puts out no heat.

2) When I bought it 4 months ago or so. I had to drive it back up a steep incline for maybe 10 to 15 minutes. It overheated two or three needles worth. Not enough to have to stop. But the radiator smell was really bad. I normally don't drive up long hills as there are none near me. Driving around town and on the freeway it has not overheated since.

3) The previous owner thought it had a warped head or head gasket leak. But no one has been able to confirm that. As I think the only way to diagnose that is to remove the heads.

Could I be getting this smell from the head leaking antifreeze once it warms up? This year is known for warped heads. There was a recall on them. But the two previous owners never took it in for the replacement at the dealer. And it has expired. This coupled with the overheating on a long hill. Makes me think this is possible.

4) What should my next steps be? Beyond just taking it back to my mechanic and have him dig deeper?

I'm thinking my next step should be to have the heater core pressure tested. Although my mechanic seems to think the lack of heat is from a blend door. But to diagnose that it means some hours of labor taking the dash apart.

5) Lastly, it also needs new rockers and lifters. Another recall issue that was not followed thru on. That's another $1500.

Including the $1000 I spent on the radiator and oil cooler. I am almost at the point that I may consider a used engine. I can get a 2014 (both head issue and rocker/lifter issue were solved by 2014 on.) with 78k and a one year warranty. For about $2500. Plus labor. The better remanufactured engine ( I forget the brand name.) Is $5000 plus labor. But I honestly wouldn't have that much cash on hand until next spring maybe.

I got a hefty $6000-$7000 discount off bluebook on this Jeep. Because of these various issues. I paid 11k. Bluebook was 17.9k. but local market value was more like 20k. So I technically have that to fix these issues. Although I won't have the disposable cash to do so for another few months.

Any advice?

This may sound harsh, but the best advice is: don't buy someone's busted project unless you can do the repairs yourself.

This may sound harsh, but the best advice is: don't buy someone's busted project unless you can do the repairs yourself.
I could do the repairs myself. But my wife had a heart transplant. So most of my time is taken up with her.

Alot went into my decision to buy this Jeep. At the time I sold my TJ for 11k. And that was my budget. So I was sure I was going to end up with an 07-10 JKU with the weaker 3.8. And most looked like shit.

But then I found this 2012 JKU. Two rich previous owners. Both of whom did regular maintenance/repairs at the dealership. The Carfax is perfect. No accidents, no odometer theft, lots of maintenance. It has 120k. And the rest of the vehicle is in emaculate condition. Near perfect for a 10 yr old car. And it has the better 3.6 engine.

In all honesty he could have gotten 20k plus in my area. Others were going for between 20k and 23k. And probably not in as good condition. It also has a $2500 roof rack. And other than the coolant smell issue. It drives excellent. Obviously never off-roaded.

He was so honest in his ad no one offered to buy it. I stayed in contact with him after the ad expired. Had it inspected at the dealership and by a local mechanic. So we both knew - worst case scenario it needed a new engine. He's a rich guy with a new startup. And didn't want to be hassled with it.

A new remanufactured engine is around $6500-$7500 installed with a 5 yr warranty. Or a new used engine is about $4500-$5000 installed. I saved conservatively $9000. So even if I put a new engine in it I have room financially to spare.

At the time I could not afford 20k for a Jeep. This gives me the ability to slowly spend 15k-20k. Considering repairs. And end up with a 20k 2012 JKU, in excellent condition with the far superior 3.6 engine. And the updated interior.

So even if I do none of the work myself. I have about $9000 to play with in repairs. For a way nicer Jeep at a decent discount off bluebook. Or at worst for fair market value.

But thanks for the help. Very much appreciated.

I could do the repairs myself. But my wife had a heart transplant. So most of my time is taken up with her.
Which is terrible, but still means you can't.
But then I found this 2012 JKU. Two rich previous owners. Both of whom did regular maintenance/repairs at the dealership.
Quite possibly the worst place in the entire world to have repairs done.
So even if I do none of the work myself. I have about $9000 to play with in repairs.
But you don't. Theoretical money isn't real money. But you're kind of stuck with it now. I do hope someone else might see what you're going through as a cautionary tale.

I hope you can get someone to fix it.

3) The previous owner thought it had a warped head or head gasket leak. But no one has been able to confirm that. As I think the only way to diagnose that is to remove the heads.
You could have someone do a leakdown test. That would help to establish the health of the engine. If any cylinders have high leakdown a decent mechanic can determine where the leak path is and the most likely root cause.

You could have someone do a leakdown test. That would help to establish the health of the engine. If any cylinders have high leakdown a decent mechanic can determine where the leak path is and the most likely root cause.
If I had a bad cylinder would it show in how the Jeep ran? I only ask because I considered this before. But I don't recall why I decided not to have it done. It runs fine. But I will ask my mechanic. At this point if it would prove a major problem I'll just replace the engine. And be done with it.

If I had a bad cylinder would it show in how the Jeep ran?
Not necessarily but depends on the magnitude of the issue. I find it helpful to understand where you may have existing issues or where future issues may lie. If the test comes back with no issues you can be fairly confident the head gasket is in good shape and valve seats are ok. Valve seat recession was an issue on this era engine.

Not necessarily but depends on the magnitude of the issue. I find it helpful to understand where you may have existing issues or where future issues may lie. If the test comes back with no issues you can be fairly confident the head gasket is in good shape and valve seats are ok. Valve seat recession was an issue on this era engine.
Completely agree. I do not want to piece meal this engine one problem at a time. As like I've said, these various repairs could ad up to way more than simply replacing the engine.

Very helpful information. Thank you.

Reactions: tJKrider
If I had a bad cylinder would it show in how the Jeep ran? I only ask because I considered this before. But I don't recall why I decided not to have it done. It runs fine. But I will ask my mechanic. At this point if it would prove a major problem I'll just replace the engine. And be done with it.
Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the size and location of the leak. You can also check the coolant for exhaust gases. You can get a kit at your favorite auto parts store.

Reactions: tJKrider