Questions about applying an undercoat

mas08

Hey all...
I want to apply an undercoat on my 2dr JK. I've never done it before myself, and professional shops want to charge several hundreds of dollars.

Questions:
- Is this something recommended to do yourself or should I go professional?
- What spray paint is recommended? I am thinking basic black rustoleum or kyrlon. Do I need soemthing formulated for high heat?
- Can anyone provide a list of which parts to be coated and which to avoid (my guess is moving parts should be left untouched).

Thanks.

Last edited:
I always hear Fluid Film come up everywhere when talking about undercoating.

I brushed it on when I coated my Tj/Jku. This stuff is amazing, it's like wax. Water beads off, snow and slush falls right off. I found a gallon of fluid film last year really cheap and I brused everything that is metal, except brakes. This time around I'm going to get the aerosol and spray the inside of the frames.

Downside of FluidFilm/Woolwax is its a pain to work on stuff afterwards. But it is a great solution (I've only done black Woolwax).

It is certainly doable by a Diy'er. Steps:

1) Power washing the underside, including inside the frame rails and letting it thoroughly dry

2) take a wire brush to any scale rust

3) apply a rust converter

4) Spray Rust-oleum

(EDIT: if using FF/Woolwax, you could probably skip the rust converter and just use the coating)

No need for hi-temp paint. Avoid rubber parts, driveline (axles OK, but take off wheels and tape a garbage bag over the brake/hub assembly), exhaust.

Not hard, just labor intensive. I would recommend a Tyvek suit, too.

Im on par with @JerryD exactly.

Something for you to consider is that fact that we live in salt and snow littered states. If you have no rust on your JK and live in say, southern California, Nevada, New Mex, etc., a good pressure cleaning and Rustoleum touch up should suffice. Products like Lucas toolbox buddy or WD-40 and the like, I believe, will keep rust at bay. Not sure if you'd really need the wax. But thats ultimately up to you.

And no, you dont need to pay a "professional" if you have the time and patience.

Reactions: mrjp and JerryD