Question about noise In rear axle

Microsup

Please help me to identify strange noice in rear axle. When I rotate rear wheel I can hear knocking sound. Like nock nock nock . It doesn't matter which wheel I rotate or which direction the sound is same. Is it normal? Check attached video.
Thanks.

Attachments

• PXL_20210911_191613049.mp4
    25.4 MB
I'd guess it's either a u joint or a problem inside with the gears. With it jacked up have someone turn the tires back and forth while you watch the u joints to see if there is any movement or noise coming from them.

Reactions: mrjp
I'd guess it's either a u joint or a problem inside with the gears. With it jacked up have someone turn the tires back and forth while you watch the u joints to see if there is any movement or noise coming from them.
That is rear axle. I don't see any u joints like on front axle. When I try to hear from where sound is coming from it sounds like it is close to the wheel. The differential box is not making any noise.

U joints on the driveshaft, The noise can transfer through the whole drivetrain that's why you need 2 people.

Reactions: mrjp
U joints on the driveshaft, The noise can transfer through the whole drivetrain that's why you need 2 people.
I see. Thanks.
Tried it to check if drive shaft makes those nocking sounds. No sounds from there. It is more like local sound. So maybe axle bearing is bad, and so it makes knocking sound when I drive over bumps on slow speed. On high speed I can't hear it because of many other noises from tires and wind. I drive topless.

Reactions: franka548
When you moved the tire back and forth was there alot of movement in the tire going from forward to the back. There shouldn't be much.

I've never heard a axle wheel bearing make a knocking noise, they will grind and also if you was to put your hand where the bearing is it will be hot after going for a drive. Just be sure to check both sides when checking for it being hot, that way you'll know if one is hotter then the other.

When you moved the tire back and forth was there alot of movement in the tire going from forward to the back. There shouldn't be much.

I've never heard a axle wheel bearing make a knocking noise, they will grind and also if you was to put your hand where the bearing is it will be hot after going for a drive. Just be sure to check both sides when checking for it being hot, that way you'll know if one is hotter then the other.
When I move it along the vehicle like forward backward or across vehicle like left right there is no movement. If I try to rotate it along vertical axis no movement only if I move it along vertical axis. Check attached video. The squicking sound is from shovel. And nocking is from axle

I was trying to watch for movement in the rotor but was hard to see any. If you have a dial indicator you could set it somewhere on the axle and the pointer on the top or bottom of the rotor and then see if there is movement.

Is it possible that because I have Rubicon with lockers, lockers make that sound? Front axle makes same clicking sound when I rotate wheels.