Purchasing a Used Wrangler? Check For Cleared Codes by Dishonest Seller - No Tools Required

lutey

If you are in the market for a used Jeep Wrangler, you should know that there are dishonest sellers that will clear the check engine light (Engine Diagnostic Codes) by using a scanner or disconnecting the battery. In the video I discuss and show how to use Jeep's built in OBDII utility to check for this.

Your comment on JScan is spot on... Now that I own a Jeep I have used it but it is a bit impractical to use it for diagnostics on every vehicle you look at. The OBDII MX+ I have and OBDLink smartphone app works well for this, however. I have used this on all of the vehicles we own for one reason or another. I'm not familiar with the Bluescan you refer to but assume it's similar...

• Love
Reactions: lutey
Your comment on JScan is spot on... Now that I own a Jeep I have used it but it is a bit impractical to use it for diagnostics on every vehicle you look at. The OBDII MX+ I have and OBDLink smartphone app works well for this, however. I have used this on all of the vehicles we own for one reason or another. I'm not familiar with the Bluescan you refer to but assume it's similar...
Thanks for watching. Yeah.. I was going to purchase the Jscan software, but then I looked deeper into it and it wouldn't be a good fit for using on used Wranglers i'm looking at. Once I get a Wrangler, then i'll probably get a Jscan. The BlueDriver product is really nice. It has live data such as coolant temp, trans temp, and other useful things to view if the JK wrangler you're looking at doesn't have the connectivity EDIC.

Agreed, due to the VIN licensing. And let's face it, you don't need programming ability for vehicles you're just looking at. Personally, I have a couple Blue Driver dongles. They're about $80 on Amazon and there are no additional fees.

If you are in the market for a used Jeep Wrangler, you should know that there are dishonest sellers that will clear the check engine light (Engine Diagnostic Codes) by using a scanner or disconnecting the battery. In the video I discuss and show how to use Jeep's built in OBDII utility to check for this. https://youtu.be/eSieRNxlgog
Someone let me know the volume was a little on the low side.. so I reposted if you have trouble hearing.