preparing axle housing for trussing

pc1p

Supporting Member
Got to working on getting the housing stripped down a bit and prepped for welding the truss. The first step was to matchmark the carrier caps to the housing, then remove the shafts and carrier:
IMG_0828.jpeg

After that, I turned my attention to removing the vent hose fitting. Note for anyone needing to do this, you’ll need to completely remove the adjusting collar as the hole is covered up (see red arrow):
IMG_0831.jpeg

IMG_0833.jpeg

A few quick whacks with a long punch and it popped right out:
IMG_0837.jpeg

The hole that the fitting is pressed into is just about perfectly sized for a 1/4” NPT fitting. I’m gonna run a 7/16” drill bit down just to clean up any edges, but it’s probably not required.

IMG_0838.jpeg

Should have this all done this week, which means I can weld the Artec truss in place this weekend. Also this weekend, I’ll be picking up a brand new in box Gamechanger 3.5” lift kit from someone about 2 hours away (we are meeting halfway). I already have the 2.5” Dual Rate MetalCloak kit, but wanted to get the full set of arms and rear track bar, and a set of 3.5” springs. I was waiting on a Black Friday sale, but for $2000, this is basically the same $$ I would be spending, plus will let me save my 2.5” lift for Charlotte’s Jeep next year (which will also get my current axles with a fresh regear, and a set of 35”s).

I have no idea why this didn’t attach to my build thread… what did I do wrong??? 🤷🏻‍♂️