Practicing using my winch before I take the Jeep out

AKbully

Hey everyone. I’m new to off-roading, so I have some very basic off-roading questions. I’ve taken my JK 2016 off road once since I got her. Had a blast but did get stuck and with a lot of creativity we got her out. The only addition I’d had was a 2 inch lift but didn’t have the new bumper with winch until recently. I now have a Oricish 12V IP67 with synthetic rope, towing load 13k lbs with remotes. My question is about practicing using it around my house before I take it out. Any good ideas?

Also, I am not with a club so I am on my own. First off is this highly frowned upon and if so, what are my options? My trip out was around trees and I imagine had I had my winch I would have been fine, so if I am alone, should I only pick trails with trees?

Im embarrassed to post these basic newbie Questions, but don’t have any Jeep buds up here. Thanks 😊

If you do this in the backyard woods, get somebody to be with you.
When I was a rookie, I tied it to another old school truck buddy and then we both experimented few tricks as we learned few mistakes (there was no u-tube back then).

You don't want to end up like this:

Last edited:
Make sure you get a tree saver strap if you do have to borrow a tree. I have seen anchors that you put into the ground but it would be a last resort before i'd use one.