Power drain on 08 Jk x

Bigbernie

Hey y'all. So I have my stock (so far) 08 JK. All of the sudden it's draining power from the battery. I've had the alternator and battery checked. Both are fine. But I still have to jump it after 6 hours of sitting. Ignition off key out, I can hear various thing power up when sitting inside. Also the security system will deactivate periodically as if I've hit the FOB button. Again all stock. butt load of codes including some U3000s. Any clue as to what's up? I'm thinking the PCM is shot.

This is not my area of expertise, but I always try to start with the simple things first. In the same line of thinking as your battery check, how old is your battery? Is it lead acid or Agm? I have had agm batteries that act up and seem to be good when they get drained and are going out. If you charge it, you have to have an AGM compatible charger. Are the terminals corroded? Are they tightened down properly? Are there any corroded or loose connectors in your engine bay?

First off, its a standard lead acid battery. It's only 4 months old. As I've said I had it tested. It will keep the charge for weeks (I've only had this issue for a month.) But the brand new battery is the the same way. All cables and connections are secure. I did have a shorting problem a few weeks after I bought it in June. That's when I started getting codes. I've checked the plugs, plug wires, coil pack, alternator, battery, gave a pressure test, leak down, checked all bulbs, voltages, oil, coolant, trans, clutch, etc. Essentially I've gone over it with a fine toothed comb. Other than the 3 recalls passenger airbag squib, clock spring, and fender liner, every checks out. The only thing I can't "test" is the PCM/ECU. I was able to read all the codes. The one that I can't full check out are the U codes. U3000, U3001, U3003, U3007.

I also have random module activations. Lights, radio, security, locks. The lights aren't always the same ones. Sometimes it's the dome, right rear only, head, front markers only.

Last edited:
Bummer of a problem. It sounds like you’ve been very thorough. I didn’t realize based on your first post that you had checked it out so well. Hopefully someone with some deeper experience can chime in here. At this point all that I can offer is moral support. Good luck, mate.

It may be a new battery but it's man made and always subject to failure. I would disconnect the positive wires from the battery and let it sit overnight. Then try to start it in the morning. You'll know then if it's a bad battery or something in the jeep draining your battery. My tractor battery did the same thing.

Reactions: Savior_Six