Pop / bind noise

Bugaboo

Ok so here we go this may be long basic info first
2013 Jeep JKU sport first time Jeep owner

Mods
2.5 JKU jspec lift
20x12 fuel hostage wheels
35x13.5 r20 nittos

So not to long ago I had the axle seals replaced. Since I have a weird pop / bind in the front. It almost feels like it’s driver side under feet. I feel it mostly in the pedal. I have already replaced ball joints with synergy’s do to a little movement in the balljoints. I also purchased a new front drive shaft from Adams which is now currently off the vehicle while trying to diagnose. The pop/bind is not audible I can only feel it and can only feel it at speeds of 40 and higher and is random. I can not do any one thing to cause it. No pop or noise when turning either. I have torqued all steering components and there is not looseness or popping on anything. When jacked up and I turn the tires by hand I can hear the backlash in the diff and I can also feel an ever so slight movement in the axle I joints. Could the axle I joints be causing this? I would think there would be a audible pop if those were actually going bad. There is a movement / click coming from them when I turn tire by hand back and forth.

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I feel like I am chasing a ghost. I think I am a Jeep hypochondriac.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a movement / click coming from them when I turn tire by hand back and forth.

If you can hear a click when turning it by hand, then you should be able to isolate and see where it is easily? What exactly is clicking? Is it inside your front differential? I guess I'm not following.

I would ask first if you have a front locker? If you do and it's locked, you will get clicking and sounds from the differential, especially when turning.

So no to lockers. It is a stock Dana 30 on Jeep JKU sport. So when I have the front end on jack stands I hear a little in the diff but I believe that is the back lash. Once I spin the tire by hand there is no clicking. But if I rotate the tire back and forth I hear the gears coming together which I assume is normal backlash I also hear a slight clicking if I put my fingers on the axle ujoint as I move the tire by hand I can feel slight movement in the ujoint itself. From my experience their should be absolutely no play in a ujoint. So I am assuming this is my problem

I guess the main question is does anyone have any play at all in their axle universal joints. I am talking very minimum but enough to feel actual movement.

Reactions: franka548
I guess the main question is does anyone have any play at all in their axle universal joints. I am talking very minimum but enough to feel actual movement.
No, there shouldn't be play in the u joints. I wouldn't delay on that either, those go and it can cause more problems.

I haven't replaced them on my JK, but on my TJ I put in Spicer in my D30. They have beefier ones than OEM I believe, all the U Joints I get are Spicer.

That’s what I thought and have already purchased some spicer ujoints to replace them. I just don’t get how if it is the ujoints how there is no clunk at take off no popping when turning only a slight pop/bind feeling not audible when driving straight at speeds of 45mph and higher it just don’t fit the bill. I feel like maybe something else is there but maybe it is the ujoints causing the sensation. We will see.

That’s what I thought and have already purchased some spicer ujoints to replace them. I just don’t get how if it is the ujoints how there is no clunk at take off no popping when turning only a slight pop/bind feeling not audible when driving straight at speeds of 45mph and higher it just don’t fit the bill. I feel like maybe something else is there but maybe it is the ujoints causing the sensation. We will see.

I hear you, but the U joint needs to be fixed either way, so if you get that done, if that's not the issue it helps narrow down. If it's slight, as you say, those tend to only show slightly, under certain circumstances, so may be you caught it before it started doing a lot more.
One question, you said you "Had" the axle seals replaced, who did that? Did this literally start immediately after that?
It's possible when taking it apart/putting back together, did they get this 100% correct? Not sure why I didn't catch that, but whomever did that work, I would ask that question if it's someone you trust that isn't going to turn it into a rat hole of spending. Did they replace the axles and have new U Joints installed? If those are new, and there's play, I'd take that to them and ask that question.

So yes I felt it not long after having axle seals replaced. I am not taking it back to them. So they may have screwed my diff. I would hope not with just axle seals. It’s not like they replaced gears. Either way will be looking into this week end and inspecting the diff. I would think of it was the diff I would feel it at all speeds and not just 45mph + and it would be more constant not so random.

So yes I felt it not long after having axle seals replaced. I am not taking it back to them. So they may have screwed my diff. I would hope not with just axle seals. It’s not like they replaced gears. Either way will be looking into this week end and inspecting the diff. I would think of it was the diff I would feel it at all speeds and not just 45mph + and it would be more constant not so random.
Only think I would say.....if they did the work, and if it really looks like a U Joint, I'd give them 1 chance to fix it (on their dime), but that's just me. If they put in new shafts, but put old U joints (that would annoy me) but it's possible something is just wrong with that one.....and if you're in for a problem, sometimes they give it more attention. I'd at least see what they say, and the owner may go "Crap, this is bad, let me do x to correct".

You would know better since you worked with them, but that's just me, I try to give a little grace....but you burn me twice and I'll be in your chili, ha. If I did give them a chance, I may want to see in that diff at their shop to confirm nothing's up.