PO157

RangerVal

Supporting Member
I have a 2016 Rubicon - ~180K miles.
A PO157 code popped on my way to work today, but cleared itself before I could take it to my mechanic.
No issues while driving.
Is it OK to drive, or should I have the sensors checked sooner rather than later?

A PO157 code popped on my way to work today, but cleared itself before I could take it to my mechanic.
No issues while driving.
Is it OK to drive, or should I have the sensors checked sooner rather than later?

You might not get very good MPG's until you fix it.

Is it OK to drive? The answer is an absolute maybe. If it was triggered by a sensor hiccup, then it's probably safe. But if your fuel pump is going out and it was triggered because it's running too lean, you could grenade the engine in short order.

No issues while driving.
The main function of the down-stream oxygen sensor is to check the efficiency of the catalytic converter. You might want to test it, or have it tested, before the next time you have it smogged. It shouldn't have an effect, or at least not much of one, on the engine's running, but it might reflect a lean fuel/air mix on the bank 2 side, an exhaust leak, bad wiring, or a bad sensor.

Reactions: BigAL07
At a minimum, since Houston is one of the Texas cities that does emissions testing, you could take it to the shop who does your inspections and ask them for a test to read the catalytic converter.
It's fairly rare, but converters are known to go bad, but you usually get the sound of gravel in a soda can when you crawl underneath and shake the converter.

Reactions: BigAL07