Passenger seat won't lock in place

Lucky day, I happen to have the OEM seats for my 2009 in the spare room. However this is out of an Unlimited, so if you have a two door those are different. This may help though.

after playing around with it, the only thing I can see is that either the spring or springs that pulls the level down is off / broke / missing... or the pegs that lock into the slots are broke off. I'm guessing the springs are off somehow.

The front of the spring is shown in the last picture in the middle of the rail. it holds the lever down.
The second image shows the side view, the hook on the right (top of rail if the seat is properly oriented) is the back side of the spring.

there is a duplicate spring on either rail. I highly suggest taking the seat out if you have not.

Post pics of what you are looking at. does the lever just easily flop up and down? or does it not lock no matter what you do with the lever?

PXL_20201015_012303671.jpg
PXL_20201015_012310332.jpg
PXL_20201015_012315395.jpg

I have a 2008 2-door. seat works great except that it will not lock in position at the rear, so I put a bungee cord/strap from the seat to the d-rings near the tailgate to keep it from flopping up if I stop suddenly. this is a good idea anyway, since if you fold the seat back forward, it unlatches by design. There has to be a mod or hack out there for this since it's a common problem.

I read this on another forum:
Push the seat all the way back and recline it. Then move it forward all the way, raise the seat back from the reclined position and see if it locks. A reset, of sorts.

It also never hurts to get under there and clean the tracks and pray some silicone lube on the springs, etc. once in a while.

Reactions: mrjp