P2302: JKU runs rough and has no power

findog78

First want to say Hello!
I need some help figuring this code issue out. My daughters 2008 JKU 3.8L 165K has been out of commission for almost a month. P2302 - ignition coil A secondary circuit has experienced a malfunction. Runs rough, no power, and left her on freeway. I've searched here, the web, and Youtube for a fix. I started with simple plugs, wires, and coil. Needed but not fixed. I read the secondary circuit is supposed to be from the coil pack to the plugs. I test lighted battery ground to the coil cannon plug to find the 12V power wire and other three wires to each coil. I read there should be a flash in the test light when turning the key to on position for the other 3 wires but none flashed? The 12V (i think) stayed solid for a few seconds then went out. So to confirm spark I pulled the plug wire off each cylinder and used a sperate plug to confirm or deny I had spark to the plug. They all sparked at start up but cylinder 1 & 4 would stop sparking after a bout 5 seconds? WTH? I went back to coil and turns out 1&4 are both on from the same coil. I then ohm tested the three coil wire pins from the 12V pin. I read some where its supposed to be around 1 ohm. 2 of the three pins read 1.4 and 1 pin read .4 ohms. Boom I think I got a bad coil? I go return the new coil and test test it again when I got home. Same pin had .4 ohms? The other 2 had 1.4. I didn't get a bad coil. Some some of the threads say they had to replaced PCM, it was a shorted wire, relay fuse in fuse box, cam sensor? Doesnt seem to be a specific conclusion. I'm not sure where to go from here or what to test next? PCM test procedure but not definite simple test? Also read a few people talk about SAFE mode? At this point spark to cylinder 1&4 cut out after start up and I dont think it a coil pack. If someone has some knowledge on what to test or check next I would appreciate it. My daughter is ready to throw in the towel and sell it. Sorry for the long thread.

Reactions: BigAL07
When you put the new parts on did you use OEM, it's been proven that you need to. For some reason these Jeeps know when the parts are not up to spec.

No I did not. Used Advanced auto parts stock parts. I actually ended up buying two one from Autozone as well. They are different specs too. I Ohm tested both on each ignition terminal on both sides of all three coils. The Advanced showed 12.4K ohms and the AutoZone one indicated 15.5K ohms? I'm not sure which is better? I'm trying to test and confirm before I throw any more parts at it. OEM or not. Lots pf people saying its the PCM. I've also read they replaced PCM and still have the code and issue?

One of the issues I read was coils are sensitive to irregular voltage. We replaced the cheesy battery terminals. Battery was left disconnected for 30-60 minutes. Would that reset the ECU? Or is there another procedure?

One of the issues I read was coils are sensitive to irregular voltage. We replaced the cheesy battery terminals. Battery was left disconnected for 30-60 minutes. Would that reset the ECU? Or is there another procedure?

That's how you would do a ECM reset.

Not that code. Mine just went balls up misfire and went into limp mode. Tried 2 different coils and still kept misfiring on different cylinders until I put on the mopar coil and a new set of mopar wires. Ngk wires didn’t work either. These jeeps are major finicky. Seems to take several drive cycles for them to learn the new parts that u install. Mileage is up and fuel trims are way down now. As BLACKJKU always advises clean terminals and grounds are major important on these babies. Hope u get er figured out brother.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Just got off phone with dealer parts dept...coil packs $155 and are on a nationwide back order from the depot with no ETA. This just keeps getting better and better! LOL

Just got off phone with dealer parts dept...coil packs $155 and are on a nationwide back order from the depot with no ETA. This just keeps getting better and better! LOL

Try searching the part number, there could be other places that might have them.

Replaced by part number came up as 56032520AF. I found one at moparpartsgiant for $86. Says they're in stock? I'm currently searching for a DIYer method to test the PCM without a full blown scan tool before I purchase a third coil pack. Thanks for all the input.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07