Over tire cargo rack

IndominusHuman

JK Enthusiast
Does anyone have experience with something like this rack?

Having a two door, as Chris knows from the Tj world, is a struggle for storage. Especially with a pup who takes up the rear when he goes on trips.

I'm not sure I like the Smittybilt and have seen a few others, but was wondering if anyone else know of something. I need it to mount with the Mopar reinforced tailgate. I do not have a rear tire carrier.

I somewhat like this one, but am unsure. lol

1574171335318.png

I do wish to relocate my third brake light and backup camera, mine is currently in the spare tire. I want to get a trasharoo and a relocation would obviously be a requirement and thus i would need to put the two between the cargo rack and the spare tire.

I personally had one of these on my old Jeep and loved it, HOWEVER, they are expensive and after the novelty of having it wore off, I regretted the purchase and wish I had just stayed with my original option, which was a generic cargo rack that went in my trailer hitch. They can be had EXTREMELY cheap and offer more room. The ONLY reason I would consider doing this again or recommending it to someone is if the trailer hitch was CONSTANTLY being used to tow, or you go so significantly "off road" that it interferes with your departure angles. Otherwise, if y ou u use a trailer constantly then you shouldn't need the extra 3 cubic feet this provides as I'm sure you can find that little amount of space even on/in the fullest packed trailers... So, keep it cheap and simple, use a trailer hitch rack. Harbor Freight sells them for $30 all day long, even cheaper with their 20-25% off coupons or you can buy a no-name online for pennies. Hope this helps

That's pretty cool, but to be honest, on my TJ what I did was add a receiver hitch, then added a receiver hitch mounted cargo carrier to it. I would then put all of my stuff inside durable plastic storage containers and bungee them down. That worked extremely well and kept everything outside of the Jeep. I drove hundreds of miles like that through the mountains and snow, worked like a charm!

Reactions: IndominusHuman
I personally had one of these on my old Jeep and loved it, HOWEVER, they are expensive and after the novelty of having it wore off, I regretted the purchase and wish I had just stayed with my original option, which was a generic cargo rack that went in my trailer hitch. They can be had EXTREMELY cheap and offer more room. The ONLY reason I would consider doing this again or recommending it to someone is if the trailer hitch was CONSTANTLY being used to tow, or you go so significantly "off road" that it interferes with your departure angles. Otherwise, if y ou u use a trailer constantly then you shouldn't need the extra 3 cubic feet this provides as I'm sure you can find that little amount of space even on/in the fullest packed trailers... So, keep it cheap and simple, use a trailer hitch rack. Harbor Freight sells them for $30 all day long, even cheaper with their 20-25% off coupons or you can buy a no-name online for pennies. Hope this helps
My worry would be departure angle. I am going to use this most went going out and camping (and I dont camp at typical campgrounds lol)

That's pretty cool, but to be honest, on my TJ what I did was add a receiver hitch, then added a receiver hitch mounted cargo carrier to it. I would then put all of my stuff inside durable plastic storage containers and bungee them down. That worked extremely well and kept everything outside of the Jeep. I drove hundreds of miles like that through the mountains and snow, worked like a charm!
I just worry about that departure angle when finding the camping spot. The places I have camped before require...finesse 😝

I just worry about that departure angle when finding the camping spot. The places I have camped before require...finesse 😝

Very true. However, some of them move the basket up a bit so the departure angle isn't as bad. I do get what you're saying though.

Yall i got this tire mounted rack, much better than all suggested above, tailgate table, cargo rack, bike rack, holds my flag or umbrella and doesn't mess me up offloading or hauling. Www.rucrak.com these are the shit, u can also mount tools to underside of table I use it now for my mallet I use with my high jack lift and than my baby shovel to dog me out of problems 🤣🤣

20200912_112406.jpg

The over tire rack looks like a really good storage option and its got a "Cool" factor to it.

I would be concerned with adding more weight to the hinges and latch though. The factory setup is hardly adequate to handle the stock spare tire IMO.

Reactions: franka548
The over tire rack looks like a really good storage option and its got a "Cool" factor to it.

I would be concerned with adding more weight to the hinges and latch though. The factory setup is hardly adequate to handle the stock spare tire IMO.
Its got a 60 pound weight limit on a stock spare tire carrier! The rack itself is light, ive loaded up my cooler threw my tools on and hit the trails and never had an issue, last time I had my cooler with 2 12 packs and some lunch and snacks, my tent, my big umbrella, my 2 tool sets, my recovery set, and my traction boards and all was good I honestly had room inside my jk for once 🤣🤣🤣 and the tailgate table comes in such handy id have it for that alone, I throw my charcoal grill and my beer up there no back ache for campsites without picnic tables lmao

Its got a 60 pound weight limit on a stock spare tire carrier! The rack itself is light, ive loaded up my cooler threw my tools on and hit the trails and never had an issue, last time I had my cooler with 2 12 packs and some lunch and snacks, my tent, my big umbrella, my 2 tool sets, my recovery set, and my traction boards and all was good I honestly had room inside my jk for once 🤣🤣🤣 and the tailgate table comes in such handy id have it for that alone, I throw my charcoal grill and my beer up there no back ache for campsites without picnic tables lmao
And I weekly use it for trash bins since I live in a rural area and take my trash to the dump and that in itself has been a life savor that was my original reason for purchase sick of getting trash spilt or smell inside my jeep lol

Reactions: mrjp