Oil pressure gauge install

BLACKJKU

Staff Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Just in case someone might be interested in installing a oil pressure gauge on there JK 3.8 I found a easy place to get to for the oil pressure sender. It's on the left side of the block between the timing case and motor mount. If I remember it's a 1/4 NPT plug and be sure to have a oil pan under to catch the oil that comes out when removing the plug. The picture of the location isn't the greatest but you should be able to see it easy when under there.

002.JPG

001.JPG

Reactions: 72c10 and Chris
All the other threads I found on doing this involved removing the factory one and putting a "T" in for the sender. Well that looked like to much work for me I like easy.

I agree, I honestly didn't think it could be done without a T. I guess you proved that wrong.

Reactions: BigAL07
I agree, I honestly didn't think it could be done without a T. I guess you proved that wrong.

When I was Googling ( my best friend on the internet) I found where the 3.8 in the Mini Vans was there so I went and looked on my engine and there was the plug.

Reactions: BigAL07 and Chris
When I was Googling ( my best friend on the internet) I found where the 3.8 in the Mini Vans was there so I went and looked on my engine and there was the plug.

I suspect it's not the same on the 3.6, but I'll have to take a look just incase. I doubt I'll be as lucky!

I suspect it's not the same on the 3.6, but I'll have to take a look just incase. I doubt I'll be as lucky!

Never looked at one of those engines but almost every engine i've ever worked on usually always had more then 1 oil passage on the outside of the block that was put there to make a internal passage.

Reactions: Chris
Never looked at one of those engines but almost every engine i've ever worked on usually always had more then 1 oil passage on the outside of the block that was put there to make a internal passage.

There very well may be one, you're right. I'm going to look into it for sure!

Did you get a chance to look for a oil passage? From what i've seen on this Video there must not be anything simple as what I found on the 3.8's. But I don't see why a person couldn't use one of these adapters that are on this video to have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

Did you get a chance to look for a oil passage? From what i've seen on this Video there must not be anything simple as what I found on the 3.8's. But I don't see why a person couldn't use one of these adapters that are on this video to have a aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

I looked on the 3.6, and I can't find anything, so if there is something, it must be hidden under a bunch of B.S. (which I wouldn't doubt).

I think you're right though about those adapters in that video.

I looked on the 3.6, and I can't find anything, so if there is something, it must be hidden under a bunch of B.S. (which I wouldn't doubt).

I think you're right though about those adapters in that video.

It would be pretty simple doing it that way.

Just in case someone might be interested in installing a oil pressure gauge on there JK 3.8 I found a easy place to get to for the oil pressure sender. It's on the left side of the block between the timing case and motor mount. If I remember it's a 1/4 NPT plug and be sure to have a oil pan under to catch the oil that comes out when removing the plug. The picture of the location isn't the greatest but you should be able to see it easy when under there.

View attachment 114833

View attachment 114834
Do you happen to know where in the lubrication "flow path" this is relative to the factory pressure switch? Did you compare readings between the two ports? Have you had any issues with this since you installed it? How do you like the GlowShift gauge?

Where the port is for the gauge sender is just about straight across from factory sender. I like the Glowshift gauge and no issues with the install either, this is on the 3.8 engine.

I appreciate the information. I have a gauge on order. Do you happen to remember where you tied into the Jeep wiring or fuse panel for your constant 12VDC, ignition switched 12VDC and headlight switched 12VDC to the gauge? Thanks again for the help!

I appreciate the information. I have a gauge on order. Do you happen to remember where you tied into the Jeep wiring or fuse panel for your constant 12VDC, ignition switched 12VDC and headlight switched 12VDC to the gauge? Thanks again for the help!

No I don't remember right now where I got my Key on 12v power, but use a test light and check your fuses with the key on and then check the fuses for one that lights up the test light. Then shut off the key and see if your test light goes off, also i'm thinking there are some auxiliary ports with no fuses that are key on you could get power.

My Jeep is in Storage right now so I can't check, also if I remember right my gauge didn't need a light wire since it's a digital gauge.

View attachment 114833

View attachment 114834

Hi there, I only need an oil pressure gauges installed. I am not a mechanic, but I will try have it done myself. Please can you share the parts you've got.

Hi there, I only need an oil pressure gauges installed. I am not a mechanic, but I will try have it done myself. Please can you share the parts you've got.

You need either a 1/4 npt to 1/8 npt bushing or else a 3/8 npt to 1/8 npt bushing. It's been to long ago since I put the gauge in and my Jeep is in storage for the winter so I can't look to see which size I used.

Reactions: mrjp