Oil Life Sensor?

BillQ

I'm told there is a sensor that determines oil life by passing an electric current through the oil, measuring resistance.
Is this true, and if so, where is it?

It's not a single sensor. The PCM uses an algorithm that determines a variety of factors in regards to how you drive. Engine temp, stop-and-go, RPM, etc. It uses all these variables to determine when it thinks you should change the oil.

It's not a single sensor. The PCM uses an algorithm that determines a variety of factors in regards to how you drive. Engine temp, stop-and-go, RPM, etc. It uses all these variables to determine when it thinks you should change the oil.
My question with these has been "Is it calibrated for the stock suggested oil? How do we compensate for full synthetic?"

My question with these has been "Is it calibrated for the stock suggested oil? How do we compensate for full synthetic?"

You can't calibrate it to my knowledge. Oil is oil though, full synthetic isn't going to make this engine run any better or worse. I don't even pay attention to the oil life thing. I just change my oil every 6k miles and have done that on every car I've ever owned most of my life.