Odd problem cooking oil all over the Jeep

Duster

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
i have a an odd cleanup problem. I drove around the back of a building on a shopping mall parking lot. There was a puddle across the lane, I made the classical error of making an assumption. I assumed it was water. It was in fact liquid cooking grease (shortening of some sort) and my tires, picked up and tossed a liberal amount along the driver's side bottom of the rock rails, the lower surface of the body, and the rear left fender. The fenders are the stock plastic fenders, quite faded these days. The irony was that I had just received a restoration kit and was planning to make them look all black and neat that weekend. In any case, the grease came off any exposed metal readily. But the fenders now, they are a different tale. I scrubbed them thoroughly using Dawn, which is a standard cleanup method for oil in HAZWOP operations. So far, no joy. Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.

So far, no joy. Any experience or suggestions would be appreciated.
I would try a bit of heat to try and get the "grease" to release. What type of store was it behind? Any chance it is petroleum based and not for cooking?

I would try a bit of heat to try and get the "grease" to release. What type of store was it behind? Any chance it is petroleum based and not for cooking?
It was behind a Popeyes. Apparently, they had valve failure of some sort. But, yest, it is cooking fat, not petroleum based. I've been leaving it in the sun (it's getting warmer as summer approaches), and also taken it on muddy and dusty trips, but the results are not really encouraging. My suspects are lard, beef tallow, palm, or some sort of vegetable shortening.

My suspects are lard, beef tallow, palm, or some sort of vegetable shortening.
Have a picture of the fender?

I would try bug and tar remover and adhesive remover. I have had good luck with both of those depending on the substance. The latter often in conjunction with a heat gun.

Heat, btw, will also help rejuvenate plastic trim.

IMG_2239.JPG

I will need to look into a heat gun. I've been considering getting some custom fenders, but, honestly, I kind of like the stock ones. You can see the upper surface has mostly cleaned up. The mud, dust and sun work helps.

View attachment 127031

I will need to look into a heat gun. I've been considering getting some custom fenders, but, honestly, I kind of like the stock ones. You can see the upper surface has mostly cleaned up. The mud, dust and sun work helps.
I'm guessing what is happening is the cooking oil/fat is acting like a rejuvenator of sorts since the fenders are faded. Heat brings whatever oils are inherent to the product up to the surface and makes its appear "new" again. The restoration products that you can purchase add oils back into the product externally. Sometimes both actions are needed... Anyways, I'm thinking that I would try the heat first, and then the restoration kit you bought and you may not be able to tell where the stains were. Since you've used Dawn anything that was going to come off probably already has...

Hopefully that all makes sense. Good luck!

Reactions: Danarch and Duster
On another note, your municipality and the county health department would have a field day with Popeyes. They're supposed to have a grease trap that prevents that crap from getting into the storm water system and ends up in a lake, pond, creek or river. The county health department will likely cite them and inspect the problem, maybe even shutting them down until the issue is fixed and inspected.

Reactions: Duster
On another note, your municipality and the county health department would have a field day with Popeyes. They're supposed to have a grease trap that prevents that crap from getting into the storm water system and ends up in a lake, pond, creek or river. The county health department will likely cite them and inspect the problem, maybe even shutting them down until the issue is fixed and inspected.
I know. That's partly why HAZWOP was on my mind. Once you take the training you notice things that whisper "OSHA would hate that."

Reactions: JeepJeezy
I'm guessing what is happening is the cooking oil/fat is acting like a rejuvenator of sorts since the fenders are faded. Heat brings whatever oils are inherent to the product up to the surface and makes its appear "new" again. The restoration products that you can purchase add oils back into the product externally. Sometimes both actions are needed... Anyways, I'm thinking that I would try the heat first, and then the restoration kit you bought and you may not be able to tell where the stains were. Since you've used Dawn anything that was going to come off probably already has...

Hopefully that all makes sense. Good luck!
Thanks. Your advice seems really first rate. I'll try to locate the heat gun.

Reactions: tJKrider
I know. That's partly why HAZWOP was on my mind. Once you take the training you notice things that whisper "OSHA would hate that."
I feel ya! I'm Hazwoper 40hr certified and see soooo much 💩 that OSHA, DEP and EPA would have a field day with. As far as your fenders, did you try Simple Green or Purple Power to remove the grease? I'm a Purple Power fan myself. The heat gun will definitely make your fenders shine again. It will also make them brittle over time. This is because you're pulling the oils out of the plastic and to the surface.

Reactions: Duster and tJKrider
Our local Popeyes got busted and fined for dumping the grease into the storm system and causing all kinds of problems....must be an upper management thing to do!!

It was behind a Popeyes. Apparently, they had valve failure of some sort. But, yest, it is cooking fat, not petroleum based. I've been leaving it in the sun (it's getting warmer as summer approaches), and also taken it on muddy and dusty trips, but the results are not really encouraging. My suspects are lard, beef tallow, palm, or some sort of vegetable shortening.
I would go into Popeyes and put a complaint in also get a police report and notify your insurance company ..they are responsible for your damage unless you were in a restricted area

Reactions: zinisk and BigAL07
I feel ya! I'm Hazwoper 40hr certified and see soooo much 💩 that OSHA, DEP and EPA would have a field day with. As far as your fenders, did you try Simple Green or Purple Power to remove the grease? I'm a Purple Power fan myself. The heat gun will definitely make your fenders shine again. It will also make them brittle over time. This is because you're pulling the oils out of the plastic and to the surface.
Thanks. I went for Dawn initially. I think we have Simple Green around, as well as Crud Cutter. I'll add Purple Power to the list of cleaning agents to test. I was just 24 Hr certified, but saw very interesting jobs where the hazards were actually historical archaeology as well as chemically hazardous.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepJeezy
Wrap up for anyone interested. I applied undiluted Dawn to the oil stained areas, since the warm water and detergent in solution hadn't worked. It worked well. The reason for specifying Dawn is that it is a very common, biodegradable detergent use in oil spill clean-ups, especially where animals and birds have been exposed and coated in oil. I expect that there are other detergents that should work just as well. But anyway, it worked.

Wrap up for anyone interested. I applied undiluted Dawn to the oil stained areas, since the warm water and detergent in solution hadn't worked. It worked well. The reason for specifying Dawn is that it is a very common, biodegradable detergent use in oil spill clean-ups, especially where animals and birds have been exposed and coated in oil. I expect that there are other detergents that should work just as well. But anyway, it worked.
Awesome glad it worked ..as for if anyone is interested I sleep,talk ,walk ,and preach jeeps..lol...

• Haha
Reactions: Duster and BigAL07