No loud exhausts

Bigbernie

Hey y'all I live in stupid NY, where they passed a law making "loud" exhausts illegal.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an exhaust that was throaty? Good bass but not loud?

Plan to. But I'd still like a throaty sounding exhaust that isn't loud. Not a huge fan of the racing sound on 4WD. Nor do I want it to sound like a subi when I shift. I want y'all to know I pulled in, instead of sneaking in at 3 am. But not wake the neighbors either.
Hahaha. I get it. I have the Pypes single cat back on mine. Gives it a rumble but not enough to have it drone inside.

Reactions: zinisk
The vast majority of municipalities in this country have noise ordinances. The issue is not that they exist, but how enforceable are they, really? Police officers do not routinely carry decibel meters and most ordinances establish a decibel threshold. Also, police officers are not in the habit of stopping cars for noise unless it's just ridiculously over the top, uncapped headers on a supercharged, big block, modified street gasser. The most you ever see out of most PDs are responding to complaints of the loud music at the house party next door. And, even then, the most they do is ask you to turn it down.
Hey y'all I live in stupid NY, where they passed a law making "loud" exhausts illegal.

I was wondering if anyone knew of an exhaust that was throaty? Good bass but not loud?

And, a quick look at the ordinance adopted by Newark, NY in July 2023 does not specifically address motor vehicle exhaust or engine noise. It goes to great length with respect to sound systems, music reproduction, etc., but there is no specific article within the ordinance addressing loud vehicles. The closest they get is addressing the repair, testing and modification that creates noise across a residential property boundary. In other words, you can't work on your Jeep in the middle of your driveway and rev the engine loud enough to annoy the neighbors.

There is zero dealing with the operation, attenuation or decibel level of vehicle exhaust while driving down the street. Matter of fact, it allows for an exception because the noise is temporary in nature, which it is if you're driving by.

Here's the link to your ordinance:

https://ecode360.com/5084318#5084323

Brought to you by your retired municipal code compliance and public nuisance officer.

Friends have Pypes, they sound good, a little too loud maybe. PO put Magnaflow, (street version, quieter) on mine, like it a lot
Second the Magnaflow….. great build quality…. This is the one I put in:

Magnaflow Street Series Axle-Back Exhaust with Black Tips (07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK)