No idea what’s wrong with radio. Help!

Soundofmysoul

New member here and hoping you experts can help!

New to me 2017 Wrangler Willys Unlimited I’ve had maybe a week. Factory install 430rbz worked fine. Switched out with a Sony AXV-AX5000 mostly so I could use Apple CarPlay. Also worked fine. I happened to get caught in a rainstorm with the freedom panels off and that stupid 7mm screw on the top dash tray was missing so water must have gotten behind the dash in the unit. Now the Sony puts out no sound. Everything else works (touchscreen, etc). Pulled it out to dry (currently taking a spa in some rice) and put 430 back in. Now the 430 radio works, satellite works. USB port powers but does not charge and does not recognize AUX media. I cannot hear VR prompts so I can’t check the Bluetooth. Uconnect hears ME though, as I tested by saying “setup” which it recognized. So I’ve narrowed down it’s not the mic. Please help before I have to drop major money into this!

Does the vehicle have the premiums sound package? It will have a subwoofer if it does. If that is the case then there is a factory amp that is below the steering wheel.. I believe.

Are the USB ports you are talking about separate from the radio or are they part of the head unit?

All steering controls work and the air bag light isn't on? Usually getting rained on a bunch causes the clockspring to fail.

Hopefully in the last couple days since your post stuff dried out to the point where it started working. If not, did you run the heater at full blast for a couple hours to dry stuff out? Electronics of JKs are not weatherproof unfortunately.

Thanks so much for chiming in! No premium sound package. The new head unit I bought has an amp.
The USB port I’m referring to is in the center console. I believe it runs through the uconnect module. Powers my phone but radio doesn’t recognize it as the aux like it did before.

All steering wheel controls work, no airbag light. No burnt out fuses. I suspect I fried my uconnect but at $350 for a new one I’m trying to rule out all else first. Or at least confirm that before I throw down money for a new one. I *think I can reconnect my new head unit and bypass the uconnect??

Reactions: mrjp
Uconnect? Is that the small box that you had to get with the radio to allow for steering controls? Known as canbus sometimes.

It's possible. You will loose functionality if you bypass it. With that new of a wrangler I'm not sure how much, my 2009 has the fancy speaker package and nothing works without the canbus because of the factory amp, though the one I have only cost about $110, no fader controls. $350 seems very pricey for one.

I'm unsure how to check those, sorry. Though you may get sound still if you bypass it, so it may be worth the work to check.

Yes it’s exactly that. It controls the voice recognition and Bluetooth. It’s housed below the radio deck behind the climate controls. I’ve read they are pretty sketchy as far as reliability.
Thank you so much for at least responding. I may have to chalk this up to “lesson learned”.

I'm wondering if the UConnect module would have to be reprogrammed if, say, someone had one laying around that they were willing to send for the cost of shipping? Or are they just "dumb" boxes that don't care about VIN code? Does anyone know?

I replaced my HU with an Android touchscreen re-style kit. Since it had all the tech(Android Auto, CarPlay, screen mirror, etc) and maintained steering wheel controls, I decided to ditch/bypass the UConnect completely. Its been in bubble wrap on my workbench since March.

That’s the best thing to do… ditch the uconnect.
The saga continues for me… this time I tried to reinstall the Sony head unit bypassing the uconnect. Still no-go. Reinstalled the old 430 deck and voila…. The VR works as does the Bluetooth and aux USB port.

Soooo, that rules out fuses, uconnect, and mic.

Now I need to figure out if I blew the new wiring harness, datalink, or amp in the Sony. Good times!!!

Thanks so much for the reply though!

I'm wondering if the UConnect module would have to be reprogrammed if, say, someone had one laying around that they were willing to send for the cost of shipping? Or are they just "dumb" boxes that don't care about VIN code? Does anyone know?

I replaced my HU with an Android touchscreen re-style kit. Since it had all the tech(Android Auto, CarPlay, screen mirror, etc) and maintained steering wheel controls, I decided to ditch/bypass the UConnect completely. Its been in bubble wrap on my workbench since March.
You can buy them used on eBay so I’m guessing they’re not connected to VIN