New to me 2015 JKU steering issue

JGrant15

Hi all this is my first post on here, I’ve been reading around through all the great threads but cant find a situation that matches mine (at least i think). I just bought a 2015 JKU sport with 45k miles on it. According to the CARFAX it had a lift installed on it at the dealer when it was purchased new i havent got a chance to measure yet and see how much lift it is but from looks i think its about 2.5”. It also has upgraded wheels and 33” nitro grapplers on it. The issue I’m having which i kind of noticed while test driving it but chalked it up to me not being used to the lifted Jeep is there seems to be a lot of wander in the way it tracks down the road. The best way i can describe it would be if I’m driving down the road straight it will just randomly dart to one side and then re-center itself. It also will veer gradually if i take my hand off of the wheel. Ive only driven it around town so far so not much more than 45mph. Any advice on where to begin looking would be much appreciated because its driving me crazy and i love everything else about the Jeep!

Sorry for the long post and thank you again I’m glad to be part of this community!
John

Best thing to do is to jack the front axle up so the tires are off the ground then get under and start wiggling and moving the different components. Also turn the steering wheel back and forth and look to see if the wheels move as much as your turning the steering wheel. Also i'd say to check the lugnuts torque to make sure on of the wheels aren't loose.

It's hard to believe that with 45,000 miles that there would be worn suspension parts. Maybe even try rotating the tires front to back if you don't find any other issues.

Reactions: mrjp
Unfortunately there are probably close to a dozen things that could cause this. The problem is finding the right one. I would start with easy things like tire pressure and a front end alignment by a shop that has experience with Jeeps. Another thing you can try is to be under the Jeep and have someone turn the wheel back and forth to see if any of the joints look loose. Especially tie rods and the drag link. Another thing you can try is to get the front wheels off the ground and see if the wheels have any play. You would think with a few of my miles that nothing would be worn out so hopefully that is not the case.

Reactions: mrjp