New JK

TJTony

Hello Bill and Chris,

I have purchased a red, 6 speed, '10 Sahara hardtop and am really enjoying those removable Freedom panels. The 6 speed TJ soft top has been a great ride for decades, however it was time for a change.
Do I have to change my username from TJTony to JKTony?

Regards,
Tony

So your going from the 4.0 inline 6 to the infamously weak 3.8 v6. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that. I only know the infamously weak 3.8 v6 but it's still fun with the manual.

Reactions: Danarch
So your going from the 4.0 inline 6 to the infamously weak 3.8 v6. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that. I only know the infamously weak 3.8 v6 but it's still fun with the manual.

It's not weak after you put a throttle enhancer on it, like a Pedal Commander or similar.

The 3.8 v6, is not by any definition the reliable workhorse that my 4.0 inline 6 was. However, it is not the later, total piece of junk that the 3.6 was. I think that the '10 Wrangler is underpowered, however I'll keep you posted. I am enjoying the sun, via the quickly removable Freedom panels, as opposed to the nuisance of plastic windows and the lower of the entire soft top on my TJ.

The 3.8 v6, is not by any definition the reliable workhorse that my 4.0 inline 6 was. However, it is not the later, total piece of junk that the 3.6 was. I think that the '10 Wrangler is underpowered, however I'll keep you posted. I am enjoying the sun, via the quickly removable Freedom panels, as opposed to the nuisance of plastic windows and the lower of the entire soft top on my TJ.
If you ever decide to get a soft to for your JK, get a 2010 or newer. Bestop redesigned the top at that point and the top no longer has those plastic strips that you have to remove from the door surrounds like you do on the TJ. There is simply a tension wire, giving you the 'sunrider' feature that takes about 10 seconds to do the same thing as the freedom top removal.

Interesting that you have a low opinion of the 3.6. It's an engine that has proven itself over the years. The 3.8 is also a good engine, however the 4speed auto trans was not a good pairing.

Reactions: mrjp
Hey Tony, I just made the same switch, from a 98 TJ to a 2008 JK. So far the acceleration in the 3.8 has felt kind of normal to me, but I was used to the three-speed auto, mated to the 4.0 in my TJ. I keep my standards low so that I'm not disappointed. I'm liking the JK a lot so far. Good to see you on Wrangler JK forum. Welcome!

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp