New clutch

danman4077

Got a question about a clutch. I'm looking to replace mine and I'm trying to decide between two South Bend clutches. The Stage 1 heavy duty and the Stage 2 daily driver. The jeep is my DD right now with some light trails and towing a small camper. In the coming years, it'll become more of a toy. Any advice would be nice. Just want something that'll work as a daily driver but can handle some offroad.

No, no, and no.

Replace the clutch with a factory clutch, which will last much longer than that clutch you're talking about.

There is absolutely no need whatsoever (I honestly can't stress this enough) to upgrade the clutch unless you're either:

a) Uninformed
b) A glutton for punishment
c) Prefer your replacement clutch doesn't last as long as the OEM clutch

Sometimes you can't "upgrade" something that doesn't need upgrading. This is a perfect example of such a case (y)

Aftermarket clutch manufacturers rely on repeat customers, hence the part isn't meant to last.
Auto manufacturers don't want to replace clutches under warranty, hence the part will last well beyond the warranty period.

The only time you need to think about your clutch is if/when you need to explore transmission repairs/replacement.

Aftermarket clutch manufacturers rely on repeat customers, hence the part isn't meant to last.
Auto manufacturers don't want to replace clutches under warranty, hence the part will last well beyond the warranty period.

Exactly.

Dealerships lose money on warranties, and therefore auto manufacturers in almost all cases want to use quality parts from high quality OEMs that will last a long time.

With the exception of idiot drivers, I've never, ever heard of a factory clutch (most commonly supplied by LUK or Sachs) fail prior to 100k miles.

Those shitty aftermarket "upgrade" clutches? They'll be lucky if they last half that. In addition, they're usually much more of a workout for the foot.

While I can understand upgrading the clutch on a 700 HP Corvette, upgrading it on a Jeep makes no sense whatsoever.