Need Help with SIMPLE OEM Radio upgrade 2008 JK

tpcroozer

Supporting Member
Hey Guys/Gals,

I've recently purchased my first Jeep. It is a 2008 Unlimited with 6 speed manual. The radio has the infinity system with subwoofer and 6 disc changer. From my online research, this may be called an REQ model. Anyway, when i turn the dials, the numbers bounce back and forth and it's hard to change the settings.

Is there an OEM Mopar radio upgrade that's plug-n-play? Navigation isn't necessary. Anything that has Bluetooth is a plus. Someone nearby has a 2011 730/RHR radio but I read something about CAN BUS speed incompatibility. My son-in-law says lose the factory stuff and go aftermarket. I then start worrying about when the doors are off.

Solutions or suggestions? Thanks in advance...

I'm with your son-in-law. You can get a blue tooth radio to do everything you need on the cheap. And there are harnesses out there that will adapt to the factory wiring so steering wheel buttons will continue to work.

Good luck

Hahaha... I don't even have to worry about the steering wheel controls. There are none! Manual windows too. :giggle:

I read someplace that with aftermarket radios, I will lose the ability to Fade/Front-Rear with the Infinity System. True/False?

Hahaha... I don't even have to worry about the steering wheel controls. There are none! Manual windows too. :giggle:

I read someplace that with aftermarket radios, I will lose the ability to Fade/Front-Rear with the Infinity System. True/False?

True. And false. It depends on the head unit you install.

I installed these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09BFBVLR9/?tag=jkforum-20
in both Wranglers. They're less than $200 and were plug & play. Installation takes about 30 minutes.

I had one of those units and while it works, it is extremely low/no frills. Charging your phone off of them is horrible because it uses an outdated USB standard and I think the faceplate they come with to replace the OEM bezel is horrendously low quality plastic.

It's not a bad unit per se, like you said it's plug and play and it works but you get what you pay for.

Reactions: tJKrider
I had one of those units and while it works, it is extremely low/no frills. Charging your phone off of them is horrible because it uses an outdated USB standard and I think the faceplate they come with to replace the OEM bezel is horrendously low quality plastic.

It's not a bad unit per se, like you said it's plug and play and it works but you get what you pay for.

I also can't tolerate a head unit without a volume knob. That's just my HMU preference.