Need help with mounting a backup camera.

Nathan0717

I have a stock 2008 Jeep Wrangler Jk unlimited. I’m trying to mount a “Wolfbox 12 inch dash cam” which comes with a backup camera. I took it to a shop to have it installed and they told me about 30 minutes into the job that they had no where on the back of the Jeep to mount the he camera. Usually they tuck under something on most vehicles but there isn’t a place he said. The license plate has the light above it so buying a license plate mount won’t due. I’ve looked and seen the only other spot mentioned is behind the spare tire. But my aftermarket wheels and rims won’t allow that. Any ideas please?

Is it a "bullet" style camera? I drilled a hole in the plastic bumper of my '08 to mount one once. On another I made a bracket (you can buy them) to mount on the spare tire mount.

Something like this:

At that price point, for what it was, I decided to make my own. However, time is money and some don't have the time or resources to fab something like that up.

Something like this:

At that price point, for what it was, I decided to make my own. However, time is money and some don't have the time or resources to fab something like that up.
Yeah I figured I was going to have to do some drilling. The rims I have on my spare don’t open up at 12 o’clock to have the camera mounted on a rear tire bracket unfortunately.

Top of the third brake light comes to mind as an idea, or not putting the center cap on the spare and do something like the JL has.
Not relevant to the immediate subject at hand, but the third brake light design, installation and aesthetic on Wranglers is quite possibly the worst in the automotive world.

I added an aftermarket camera that I used on my old RAM truck. Mounted it under the notch in the bumper that is there for the tow hitch receiver. I don't have the tow parts so it fits nicely in there with a good view. The camera was originally a license plate mount but as the light is there it wouldn't fit and is off center, too. Ran the wire to the right side tail light. Hook up to black (ground) and white with gray stripe (reverse light). Mine has a wireless transmitter to send the picture to a screen at the dash. Works great.
Gotta agree about the third brake light design, etc. Terrible.

20210803_201628~2.jpg

Reactions: mrjp