Metal Key

zinisk

My '16 has the 2 factory remote keys but I'd like a waterproof one to take when kayaking, etc.

Anyone with experience know if a plain old metal key will unlock and start the Jeep and allow it to run?

My '16 has the 2 factory remote keys but I'd like a waterproof one to take when kayaking, etc.

Anyone with experience know if a plain old metal key will unlock and start the Jeep and allow it to run?
I just put my Jeep key in my small dry box when I go kayaking and tether it to the kayak. But to answer your question, a plain old key will unlock the door, your glove box and your arm rest but will not start the Jepp. Maybe get a plain ol key cut and keep your fob key locked inside your jeep?

I just put my Jeep key in my small dry box when I go kayaking and tether it to the kayak. But to answer your question, a plain old key will unlock the door, your glove box and your arm rest but will not start the Jepp. Maybe get a plain ol key cut and keep your fob key locked inside your jeep?
Jeepjeezy, yes, I think I'll go with your idea, seems simplest, meets my needs. Thanks. My understanding is if I lock door, without using remote, alarm won't sound when I unlock door with metal key.

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Jeepjeezy, yes, I think I'll go with your idea, seems simplest, meets my needs. Thanks. My understanding is if I lock door, without using remote, alarm won't sound when I unlock door with metal key.
Correct. Lock the door with the metal key or the door itself and not your key fob.

Reactions: zinisk