Longer JK Tail Light Screws

NW GA JKU

Hello,

I just replaced my stock tail lights with LED tail lights. I'd like to put my brush guards back on but the screws are not long enough due to the new tail lights form. I'd read that #8 sheet metal will work. But all the 2 1/2 or 3 inch screws have a courser thread pitch than shorter lengths. So they will not screw into the inserts in the JK body. I've made 2 trips to Ace and 1 to Home Depot trying to get screws that will work with no luck yet.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks,
Ben

The tail light screw is a M4.2 x 1.41 x 45.80 (Mopar 06511141AA). You just need a slightly longer version from the 45.80mm (1.8").
It's not a common screw, so you'll likely not find one in your local hardware store. Sounds like the 1.41 thread-to-thread measurement is the issue.
Might try a Fastenal shop.

Reactions: BigAL07
I was able to get new ones at my local ACE Hardware I think it was. I don't remember them being that specific of a size. I just took the old ones in order to get a match. I needed new ones to replace a rusted or lost one.. it's been awhile.

I found something "close to" what was there in terms of thickness but purchased all stainless and it worked out perfect. No rust either.

Hello,

I just replaced my stock tail lights with LED tail lights. I'd like to put my brush guards back on but the screws are not long enough due to the new tail lights form. I'd read that #8 sheet metal will work. But all the 2 1/2 or 3 inch screws have a courser thread pitch than shorter lengths. So they will not screw into the inserts in the JK body. I've made 2 trips to Ace and 1 to Home Depot trying to get screws that will work with no luck yet.

Has anyone run into this issue before?

Thanks,
Ben
I had the same problem with my 2014 and i found that black drywall screws worked perfectly

Reactions: Lxxtsy and BigAL07