Just got a 2015 Jeep and it seems not to have the power I expected

Dustoff

All,
New to the forum and new Jeep owner. I just bought a 2015 Jeep wrangler. I have never owned a Jeep before and only driven one once before. I expected it to have more power. It seems to not want to accelerate from a stop unless I really push on the gas and it also seems to lose power going up hills at highway speeds. I have to really give it gas to maintain speed. I also expected it to get gas milage (14.5 average). It does have 33" tires so I know that effects gas milage, but I didn't think that much. I pay attention to the shift points and the automatic transmission does not shift at points I would expect it.

Not sure if all this is normal and I am just new to driving a Jeep or if there is something in the transmission or ECU that needs to get looked at.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome

Dustoff

It's hard to say what you're experiencing. Is it throwing a check engine light or any error lights? Do you know what gear ratio it has in it? If you don't, run the VIN through here: https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

That will tell you all the options your JK came with, as well as the gear ratio. With 33s and a bad stock gear ratio, it could be down on power and would thus feel very sluggish off-the-line.

Have you verified that the speedometer is reading correct, if they aren't the stock size tires then the speedometer will be off. That in turn will cause the transmissions shift points to be off.

Reactions: MacGuyver
If you are used to cars all your life, the jeep is a slug in comparison.
But then I only get 14.5 mpg if I am towing a loaded trailer.

I’d venture to say you drive a sport model with the stock 3.21 gears and not shifting correctly is the downfall to 3.21s. A procal or something similar will help because you can change the tire size in the computer.