JK 2Dr Roof Rack options with no rear rain gutters

Florida Boy

Supporting Member
New (supporting) member here looking for info on the best options for a roof rack installation on my '18 Wrangler JK 2dr Hardtop. No rain gutters aft of the front doors makes this a bit of a challenge. Really hoping to avoid using the artificial rain gutters that can be drilled and bolted into the fiberglass hardtop. Don't trust them for even the light loads (2 kayaks) that I plan to carry.
Have read the forum threads about the rear window hinge brackets, but finally found someone in support at SmittyBilt who explained to me that those brackets are only approved for the 4dr models where you already have 4 gutter mount points over all 4 doors. Not recommended for use on the 2dr with only 2 front gutter mounts.
Seems to eliminate the possibility of finding a simple pair of crossbars without drilling or without going to a full four point frame mounted system. Anybody disagree??

OK, so now looking at SmittyBilt's SRC roof rack system #76716. Aside from bulkiness and wind noise concerns, I've seen comments that indicate that the rear mounts will require modification of the OEM rear bumper in order to install them.

Does anyone have experience with this situation, and if so how much modification to the factory rear bumper was required?

Finally, are there other recommendations for carrying kayaks on top of the 2dr JK Hardtop?

My primary use for the Jeep is as a toad to pull behind my RV and get us and the kayaks to water when we're camping. Not planning heavy-duty off-road use here.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Randy
aka Florida Boy

Reactions: Duster
Just an idea based on one of my solutions when I had an F150... I purchased a single crossbar for the roof and then something similar to this for the hitch:

1711470740616.png

This worked for a two seater kayak and a portabote on the truck. Not sure if the dimensions work out on the Wrangler but it may be worth investigating...

If I have time over the next few days I'll dig it out of the garage attic and mount it on the Wrangler and see for myself.

Here's the one I have... Forgive the quick pool noodle pad I had to employ on the last usage, which was probably 4-5 yrs ago!

PXL_20240326_202154951.jpg

I have the height set in the middle so it has room to go up or down from this position.

Here is the single crossbar. Note the picture of the canoe on the pickup with the hitch extender. This is how I used it on my truck:

PXL_20240326_202521340~2.jpg

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I have this one
1000004766.jpg

It works, but the hitch mount one, and one of the pads in the above kit, might be a better combo.

There used to be a external rack that mounted to the hard top by MBRP, but it's discontinued. You can find it as a knock off though.

1000004767.jpg

Reactions: tJKrider